Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Optical Express Ruined My Life - Discuss...

TOPIC: GOING TO PARLIAMENT!!!

Meeting postponed... 27 Jun 2016 20:14 #11

The bad news is that my meeting with Health Minister Ben Gummer on Wednesday has been postponed - email received this afternoon from Theresa Villiers' office.

ScreenShot2016-06-27at19.43.08.png

Not a huge surprise given what's going on right now... :kiss:

The good news is that those of you who haven't yet sent me your letter for Ben Gummer now have no excuse and time to do so!

Letter for Gummer 25 Jun 2016 15:53 #12

Since 2012 I have had conversations with - and received emails from - thousands of people damaged by this unregulated industry, yet only a comparative handful of you have written letters FAO Ben Gummer!

You have the weekend left to do this, and post hard copy to me via 1st class on Monday to reach me in time for my meeting on Wednesday.

Send email for my address: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

It doesn’t matter where or when you had surgery… and I also encourage your partner/children/friends to write their side of the story.

Meanwhile, this is one of my favourites, written to Gummer's predecessor last year - the author did attach a legible copy!
:kiss:

LeeBlur.png

URGENT! Re 29 June - next week!!! 24 Jun 2016 11:45 #13

• Caro
Please, please listen to Sasha and use this hard fought for opportunity to have your say!

The more of us that do so the louder the message will be, and the harder it will be for the government to continue to ignore what is going on in this barbaric and unregulated industry. A few minutes of your time will make a difference and help to protect others…. so get writing!

URGENT! Re 29 June - next week!!! 23 Jun 2016 18:36 #14

I am disappointed and saddened by your apathy… :kiss:

Yes you - every single one of you reading this who has suffered problems after refractive eye surgery, yet can't be bothered to spend a few minutes writing a letter for me to hand deliver to the Health Minister next week!

When I meet with Ben Gummer and his DoH officials on 29 June I have limited time in which to convince the government that regulation is desperately needed to protect thousands more from having their eyes and lives ruined by a corrupt industry.

Since 2012, supported by John McDonnell (Shadow Chancellor), and recently my own MP Theresa Villiers (Secretary of State for Northern Ireland), I have fought against the odds for a meeting with the government.

My fight has been an exhausting one, with door after door closed in my face, threats made against my life, bribery offers… organisations like the RCO closing ranks to protect their own - and there've been a few times when I came close to giving up, thinking perhaps I was wasting my time.

However, I didn’t give up and I never will, and I certainly wasn’t wasting my time!

I freely give my time and help to so many people with nowhere and no-one else to turn to, and I don’t ask for thanks or reward, but I do at least expect your support!

I therefore beg you to please take a few minutes to write a letter to Ben Gummer, describing what happened to you and how it has affected your life, and the lives of those close to you. It can be as short or as long as you want, and friends/family are also welcome to write how your issues have affected them too.

If you lost your job/business/home/relationship because of the debilitating results of surgery, please say so!

If you have been forced to claim benefits because of your surgery, please say so!

If you’ve had ANY treatment from the NHS - GP/hospital appointments, eye drops, explant… - please say so!

Your letter should include your address and signature.

Email me for my address for you to send a hard copy of your letter: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please also send/email copy to your local MP.

NB: If you previously sent a letter for Daniel Poulter in 2014/15 (meetings cancelled), no need to send again as these will be given to Gummer.

Thousands of damaged patients follow my sites, so I'd expect a few hundred letters at least - please don’t leave it to other people!

I have fought so hard for this meeting and intend to use every second of it to make sure the government can no longer pass the buck to the impotent CQC, GMC, and RCO - none of whom have helped us in any way whatsoever!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pandora

Ben Gummer to John Howell MP 17 Jun 2016 19:50 #15

I am so looking forward to meeting Ben Gummer on 29 June :kiss:

GummertoMP1June16_1copy.png

Gummer2toMP2June16_1copy.jpeg

Reminder:
'In early 2015 many damaged patients wrote accounts of how their lives had been affected for me to give to Dan Poulter in person - our meetings repeatedly postponed until he resigned as health minister.

I will be giving these to Ben Gummer instead, and invite everyone else to write their own account for me to add to the file (no matter where you had surgery). It would help if you also copy this to your own MP.

Send to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
'

Meeting with Ben Gummer - finally!! 01 Jun 2016 16:03 #16

After launching my campaign for government regulation in January 2012, supported by MP John McDonnell, I have spent four years fighting to meet with the health minister - Simon Burns in 2012, Daniel Poulter 2012-14, Ben Gummer 2015-16.

The correspondence I have in my possession from the above named ministers - and others incl Jeremy Hunt - reveals their overt reluctance to address this scandal.

I believe that their reason (one of them) for avoiding me is because, once meeting with me and hearing the shocking truths in person, they will no longer be able to claim that the CQC, GMC, and RCOphth have everything under control.

I was therefore thrilled to receive a call from my MP's parliamentary office this morning, followed by a confirmation email, to say that, 'we have set up a meeting between yourself, Theresa (Villiers), Ben Gummer and the Department of Health on Wednesday 29th June 2016.’

Huge thanks to Theresa, as it took four letters to Gummer and subsequent phone calls to his office for her to finally persuade him to meet with me! This was in addition to John McDonnell pressuring him...

I trust that Ben Gummer won't find it so easy to cancel a meeting with the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland as he might be tempted to do with me!

In early 2015 many damaged patients wrote accounts of how their lives had been affected for me to give to Dan Poulter in person - our meetings repeatedly postponed until he resigned as health minister.

I will be giving these to Ben Gummer instead, and invite everyone else to write their own account for me to add to the file (no matter where you had surgery). It would help if you also copy this to your own MP.

Send to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I’ll post a reminder later... :kiss:

Ben Gummer to Theresa Villiers/4 May 2016 01 Jun 2016 15:50 #17

BenGummerlettertoTV4May16P1.png

BenGummerlettertoTV4May16P2.jpg

18 May, Theresa wrote to me, noting that Ben Gummer had not addressed her request that he meet with me and that her assistant would contact his office on that point.

Me to Theresa Villiers/13 April... 01 Jun 2016 15:43 #18

'Hi Theresa…

A belated thanks for your letter dated 23 February, and copy of Ben Gummer’s letter dated 10 March.

I am aware that after the general election Dan Poulter advised his successor that he should meet with me asap, yet the health minister has ignored me. His letter to you, in my opinion, is a continued and deliberate avoidance of this major scandal.

It seems to be that as long as no-one talks to me they can claim ignorance of the major problems suffered by tens of thousands of damaged patients.

Please listen to this brief exchange between Richard Harrington, Ben Gummer and John McDonnell in July 2015:

It should be considered that the industry’s endless supply of damaged patients is costing the NHS untold £millions in aftercare and repair. Lens explant operations are now being performed by NHS surgeons as the only option to correct problematic lens exchange surgery provided by Optical Express and other high street providers. NB: A bilateral explant costs £11k at a private clinic. Not forgetting the cost in benefits for the thousands left unable to work as a result of damaged vision.

In his letter to you Ben Gummer wrote that a laser eye surgery provider was included in the first pilot inspections of single specialty services and non-hospital acute services between April and June 2015, and that the report is available on the CQC website by searching ‘laser eye clinics’. I am unable to find this information, as were CQC customer services. I have written to the CQC asking for a link.

Regardless of which, the problems within this industry go far beyond the scope of the CQC and can only be limited by government regulation.

I met with John McDonnell yesterday who advised me to write and ask you to press for Ben Gummer to meet with me asap. John is also writing to you himself...
'

Meeting with Shadow Chancellor 13 Apr 2016 16:36 #19

I had a productive meeting with Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell yesterday afternoon.

One point we discussed was why the RCOphth have not supported our fight for regulation, as the RCS are doing with the cosmetic surgery industry.

Could it be that the RCOphth don't want to bite the hands that feed them :kiss:

ScreenShot2016-04-13at16.37.45.png

Ben Gummer to Theresa Villiers/10 March 2016 13 Apr 2016 16:33 #20

BenGummertoTVilliers10Mar16P1copy.png

BenGummertoTVilliers10Mar16P2.jpg

OERML Twitter Feed