Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Optical Express Ruined My Life - Discuss...

TOPIC: DEPOSIT REFUND

£500 deposit 03 Jul 2017 18:35 #21

• Abigail
Glad I found this website!

Went for my original appointment in 12th April, just to see whether I was suitable for surgery and how much it would cost. The optometrist in York told me I was suitable for Lasik and I would get 20/20 vision. Yay! I thought.

I was then taken through to speak to someone else regarding costs, etc. As I'd been told I'd have to have the iDesign due to larger pupils, the cost came to £4550, reduced to £4050 as I'd seen an advert on Facebook for £500 off.

Then I was taken to the receptionist to arrange the booking and deposit. Booked surgery for 1st June (I'm a teacher so it had to be during half term) and paid £500 on my credit card. Also arranged a telephone consultation with the surgeon for the week before. Had to be telephone as I wouldn't be able to get to Leeds to see the surgeon a week before the surgery.

On the day of my telephone consultation, I had a phone call from OE (luckily at lunch time so I was able to answer) saying the surgeon had looked at my file and needed to see me before doing the surgery. Only available time (for both of us) was 3 days before the surgery but in Sheffield.

Day of consultation: arrived at appointment 10 mins early only to sit and wait an hour before being seen by the surgeon (Mr Muhammed Kazmi). He told me that I was unsuitable for Lasik due to thin corneas so I would have to have Lasek (and then explained risks etc). Due to the longer recovery period I was unable to have the surgery on 1st June as I wouldn't be able to take time off work.
I spoke to a receptionist at the branch who rearranged the appointment for 21st July (1st day of summer hols). At this time I also set up a payment plan for the surgery (I opted for the 10 month interest free payment for the, now slightly reduced, amount of £3890).

On 15th June I telephoned customer service to rearrange my appointment (as I had been doing some research into Lasek and found the healing time to be longer that originally thought and didn't want to be unable to see when on holiday at the start of August). The only options available didn't suit me either so I left it so I could ring back at a later date and see if there were alternative dates.

2 weeks ago I decided I didn't want the surgery any more (read accounts of people having Lasek and still not being able to see properly after 6 months) so I rang the customer service number on the website and couldn't get through. I tried again a couple of days later and still no luck. On Thursday last week (29th June) I rang again and sat on hold for 1 hour 15 mins before being told I needed to speak to the cancellation team. They gave me a number to ring.

On Friday 30th I rang, and got through to a recorded message telling me the department was busy and to leave my name and number and they would get back to me.

By 5pm today I had no contact from them so I tried again, only to get through to the normal customer service team as apparently the cancellation department was closed. The woman I spoke to took my name and number and said someone in cancellations would get back to me in 48 hours.

I await their call with bated breath. But I intend to try ringing again in the morning (if I can while at work). I'm beginning to wish I'd done more research before paying that £500 #fedup
admin: OE monitor this forum very closely and know that I am now advising people to issue an online money claim as soon as they refuse to refund your deposit - or make you wait 28 working days, so it may be that by tomorrow you won't need my help. (And please post update if that's the case!)

But just in case, if you email your phone number I will call you immediately
:kiss:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Decided Against Surgery! 03 Jul 2017 13:40 #22

• Sharon
Just phoned to cancel today after being told on the phone "you can cancel at any time and receive a full refund" to be told that there's only a 7 day cooling off period. Waiting for cancellations to ring me back. Anything I should be doing in the meantime please?

Refused refund & offered store credit! 30 Jun 2017 17:30 #23

• Elie A
Hello,

I would greatly appreciate your help on the below matter.

I booked a laser eye surgery consultation on 20 May 2017, went with a friend and told I would get 20/20 vision or better. I was not been taken through all the risks (except for a video) and what my guarantee is regarding these risks. All I was told that I am guaranteed to get 20/20 vision or better, shown a video then pressured to book with attractive offers and discounts. I refused the offers then went home.

I received few phone calls throughout the next few weeks of my consultation until I received a good enough offer on 6 June 2017 that I thought I could take. My deposit was taken that day and I was sent the documents for the laser eye surgery and the scan results of my consultation. It was the first time I was emailed anything from optical express.

On 19 June 2017, the day of the iDesign iLasik surgery at Optical Express Meadowhall Branch, I came with my fiancee, I did not fill the "Terms" and part of the "Consent" documents before arriving as I wanted to speak to the surgeon first. However, the receptionist insisted on filling the form and told me I could take it with me if I decided not to go through with the surgery.

We sat in the waiting area, then my name was called and I was taken downstairs to have the eye tests again.

When I saw the surgeon, Mr Muhammad S Kazmi, I was told there is 100% chance that I would not get 20/20 vision, but he then corrected it to 99% as there is nothing 100% sure in surgery. He continued explaining all the risks and how a couple of them would prevent me from doing my job, and that I was not covered against any of those risks (I was never told about these until I met the surgeon for the first time that day).

Muhammad Kazmi then told me that there was 80% possibility of me getting +/- 0.5 (which I am not guaranteed) and if I get more, my only option is to either go on another surgery in the next 3-6 months but that would highly increase the not guaranteed risks even more, or I could live with it and would not get my money back.

He assured me that if I decided to cancel the operation I would receive a full refund.

I asked for 30 minutes to think about it and then the nurse came, we asked her again about the refund and she stated the same. So I decided not to go through surgery, but I was not given any of the signed forms when I left.

To my surprise I received a call from the cancellation department stating that I would not receive a refund.

Tried to contact customer service, couldn't reach them. Tried to contact Lynsey Shaw where she offered me £395 in store credits as a final decision, so I asked for the details of their complaints department. Haven't received a reply from her since.

I am both shocked and disappointed with Optical Express' behaviour towards the laser eye surgery and their customers. I feel cheated and tricked. I am not going to get a refund even though there is 99% chance that I won't be getting 20/20 vision, excluding all the risks associated with it where I could then lose my job! If I was told these during the initial consultation I would not have booked for the surgery in the first place.

Your help is greatly appreciated on this subject and I would like to know what is the best step to take next?

Best Regards, EA

Decided Against Surgery! 29 Jun 2017 21:22 #24

• Brad
Unbelievable how many people including myself have fallen victim to this illegal scam, I have just waited 39 Days to receive my full refund of £2.500. My case was the same as many on this forum and it should not be allowed to happen. Someone needs to put a stop to this robbery, my main correspondence was with a woman called Fiona McPhail Clinical Care Associate, and Paula.

Beware stay clear of this company :evil:

Refund refused! 28 Jun 2017 16:54 #25

• Clint betts
Hi Sasha
I had a consultation with OE for lens replacement which I was quite excited about having done. After the consultation I got calls every day sometimes a number of times per day from a guy at head office asking me to go ahead with the pre op appointment and pay £500 deposit, at this point as he is denying he said I could cancel and get my deposit at any time. But anyway Derrick Burton at Glasgow head office promised I could cancel at anytime and would get a full refund, I've since read some of the bad comments on Trustpilot also unhappy with the customer service and misinformation such as not being told that at the practice I would have been going (Nottingham) they don't use a laser to make the incision which helps with the healing process but in fact use a scalpel with is more damaging to the eye and effects the outcome.

I rang to cancel the appointment after paying £500 and was told to wait and see the surgeon before making a decision and again being told I can cancel then if I wish. As I began to lose all confidence in OE I decided I didn't want to waste time and money going to see the surgeon Muhammad Ayaz Asghar who's method would be to cut my eyes with a blade. I rang OE again to cancel and asked for a refund.

I was called back by someone called Fiona McPhail who told me I couldn't get my deposit back and said it was only refundable if I cancelled within 7 days of booking. When I told her that I was constantly reassured by Derick Burton that I could at any time. Her reply was "YOU CANT PROVE THAT"!!!

I hope to hear from you
Clint Betts
admin: I spoke with Clint this morning, who told me that Lynsey Shaw has emailed him to say his deposit will be refunded within 28 working days, but - as I've posted previously - Optical Express have no legal right to take a deposit prior to a customer seeing the surgeon, and Clint's money should have been refunded immediately.

The reason this company does its best to hang onto deposits is because they desperately need the interest they earn on the money waiting to be refunded to the lucky people who discovered OERML before risking ruining their healthy eyes!

I now advise people to issue an online money claim when OE refuse to refund your deposit. (Read posts from Elisabeth on 18 & 27 June, and Kavita on 20 May.)

Don't waste time arguing with OE, contact me for help :kiss:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Update: Not suitable for surgery but witholding 27 Jun 2017 16:02 #26

• Elisabeth Bickerton
:blink: After advice from Sasha, on June 19th I initiated an Online Money Claim (I had already researched this so it was quite quick to do), asking for the full amount of my £6,590 payment, plus interest - set at my credit card rate, not the 8% standard set by the courts - and for every day from the date of payment, not their 'working days’, and the £410 Court fee. This was sent to my local Optical Express branch where I had paid, not Head Office.

On 22nd, I received a cheery email, just as though there had been no problem at all, from Linsey McNab saying that my refund had been initiated and would be with my within 3-5 working days, depending on the card provided.
I'm afraid she got a snippy reply telling her that I would not be rescinding the claim until ALL the money was in my account, including the interest and court fee.

That was actioned the same day and I am very happy to say that the full amount of £7,157.22 reached my accounts this morning. :silly: :lol: :silly: :lol:

Thank you so much Sasha, I do appreciate the help and advice you gave me.

Refunded! 23 Jun 2017 06:41 #27

• Mark P
Hi all,
Well this morning i woke up to £500 paid back into my account, as promised within 3-5 working days (it was actually only 2 full days as i got the email late on 20th and deposit arrived at midnight on 22nd). cannot thank Sasha enough as i believe without her advice on this forum i would either not have received my deposit or had to go through months of threats and distress over this.

My advice to you is carefully read the posts on the forum, do what Sasha suggests and email Lynsey and do not let up until you know you get the answer you want, they do not need to call you back to get your card details as i have proved they already have them from initial payment so call multiple times a day if required but ensure you get your money, good luck everyone and thank you Sasha so much.

Refund promised! 20 Jun 2017 20:02 #28

• Mark P
After reading Sasha's advice i emailed This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. last week on Friday 16th June with what amounted to a rant regarding their complete lack of respect for the customer, how no deposit should have been paid until i had seen a surgeon, and also that trading standards would be getting involved if i did not receive my deposit back. I received an out of office reply saying Lynsey was on holiday and would return today, 20th June.

At 10:30am this morning i received an email from Lynsey Shaw to say the cancellation was confirmed on 1st June and as directed in the T&C's the deposit would be paid within 28 working days. Lynsey then stated she had escalated this with the accounts dept who will contact me today to refund my deposit in full onto the card payment was paid from.

At 11:40am i received a very quick call from the accounts dept to say they did not need my card details as they had these from the Edinburgh store from when I paid the deposit and it would be refunded by end of today.

At 16:00 i received an email from Lynsay McNab at OE accounts to say the refund has been processed to my original card and the funds will leave optical express immediately and show in my account within 3-5 days depending on my card provider.

I will post again if/when funds go into my account, thank you Sasha for all your assistance.

Not suitable for surgery, but witholding my money! 18 Jun 2017 14:56 #29

• Elisabeth
I had an appointment in mid-April at the Norwich branch to find out if I was suitable for laser treatment (I had had radiotherapy on my left eye in 2006). After a long wait I saw the optometrist who examined me, did various tests and said No to laser, but I was suitable for lens replacement.

I was told it wasn't done in Norwich, so London (Westfield) was their nearest clinic where it could be carried out. I paid the deposit (£500), but there was great pressure to pay the balance - a further £6090 as they were able to get me an appointment with the surgeon within the next 2 weeks. I am not able to take out finance, so I paid £3500 on 2 credit cards and the rest on my debit card.

On the 5th of May, after a 4 hour wait, I saw the surgeon, who after a 5 minute exam told me that I was certainly NOT suitable as my retina is badly scarred from the radiotherapy, and is also very thin due to extreme short-sightedness. He could not recommend the treatment and assured me I would receive a full refund, since it was a medical decision not to proceed.

All I can say is, I am now VERY grateful he deemed me unsuitable for treatment after reading some of the stories on here!

I went into the Norwich shop the following day to organise my refund and was told it was already initiated by the surgeon and it would be 28 working days - June 14th. I rang the so-called customer services on around 5th of June and asked why it was taking so long. It took only minutes to remove the money from my accounts, it should take the same amount of time to return it. I was told it was due to financial regulations relating to money laundering! I said this was ridiculous - the money was going back into the accounts it came out of. After a lot of what was frankly nonsense from her, she said I had signed the financial agreement stating it would take 28 working days, but she would contact the finance department to escalate it, and get back to me. She didn't.

I phoned again in the afternoon of the 14th asking where was my money - she would find out and ring me back. No phone call, but an email stating she was very sorry but there had been a mixup in the finance department and it would be another 8 - 10 days. I told her I was not satisfied, if it isn't repaid - I will be taking it further.

I am not hopeful I'll get it back any time soon. Any suggestions, please.

Decided Against Surgery! 16 Jun 2017 17:26 #30

• Mark P
So went along to Edinburgh to see about laser surgery, was thinking it would be around the 4k mark, after waiting a while i had all the "tests" and was told laser surgery was no good for me as one eye was distance and one eye was near sighted, they then suggested lens replacement surgery and the cost went up to £8,500 (with finance).
As i had not read up on lens replacement i said i would need to research it further, optician said not to worry as he had a video and paperwork explaining everything, they were very convincing and i was then more or less directed into a room with what can only be called someone who was a used car salesman in a previous life, i was told i needed to pay my £500 now as it may go up in the next few week, i also needed to pay this to confirm my surgeon appointment in Glasgow but it was explained to me that i could cancel at any point in the next 7 days and my deposit would be returned in full.

After talking to my wife and also re-looking at the financial implications i decided to cancel that night and called them first thing next morning to cancel, i spent all day trying to get through to someone at cancellations as they were always "too busy and lines were engaged".

A few days later i got through to them again and very sternly told them i wanted someone to phone me today or i was taking it further, no one did, so i called back next day and was furious, eventually someone called me back that day and tried to convince me that if i cancelled then the price would go up substantially if i ever went back to get the surgery, i again told them i was not interested and wanted my money back, i was then told someone would contact within 28 working days to take my card details, absolutely ridiculous in this day and age and for no other reason but to recoup interest on other peoples money.

I am now 3 weeks down the line from that last conversation and found this website, i have emailed the two individuals named on this website (lyndsey shaw and hugh kerr) and hope this helps as £500 is a lot of money. i'll keep you all updated if i get any further but any other help would be very much appreciated.

OERML Twitter Feed