logo6

Deposit Refunds

• Wajeeha
  • Wajeeha's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Wajeeha on topic Refund my £500

Posted 21 Sep 2023 22:01 #11
Hi Sasha,
My wife’s prescription is -1.75, and she doesn’t need glasses, but she thought she might but didn’t want to wear them so we went to Optical Express in Nottingham on 17th August.

We were carried away by the staff marketing skills and pressed to pay £500 deposit the same day and they booked her for lasik surgery with Dr Sajjad Mughal on 5th October.

Then we were sent email changing it to 26th September without asking us. But we had already decided to cancel when we came home from the store and the sales person had told us if my wife changed her mind she could cancel and that someone would call to discuss credit check for finance option. We waited for them to call so we could tell them we were not going ahead.

25th Aug no one had called so I called OE customer services 0800 number to cancel. The man asked reason and I said we had changed our minds and he said it would be up to 28 days to refund.

I waited 25 days and called them again. A different man told me I was only entitled to £250 because had not cancelled within 3 days. Until yesterday we had no idea of this policy.

We paid with a credit card.

Please can you help us?

Regardless of which, OE’s practice of refusing to refund the full deposit outside 3 days is based on their own version of consumer rights, and not legal. No-one should ever be approved for (any) surgery without first having been examined by a surgeon in person!
Please send your phone number :kiss:

sasha@opticalexpressruinedmylife.co.uk
Last Edit:22 Sep 2023 09:22 by Wajeeha
  • Angie G
  • Angie G's Avatar Offline

Replied by Angie G on topic Full Deposit Refunded!

Posted 18 Sep 2023 11:50 #12
Good Morning Sasha,

Just a quick message to say that I had a call from head office on Friday to ask for my credit card details to enable them to refund the deposit!

I asked how much that they would be refunding - “the full amount as you cancelled within the time frame”.
This was after receiving their email that I would only receive £250.

Checked this morning, all settled 😊

“Thank You” for the support you gave me during this nasty experience.

Big kisses to you,
Angela Xx
Last Edit:18 Sep 2023 20:30 by Angie G
  • Angie G
  • Angie G's Avatar Offline

Replied by Angie G on topic Deposit Refunds

Posted 13 Sep 2023 12:27 #13
I had an appointment at Optical Express in Norwich on Friday 8th September.
Their Terms & Conditions were handed to me after I paid the deposit and eye drops had been administered to both eyes.
I was not aware of the document until after the credit card transaction had taken place.
As the deposit was being paid to the staff member I was informed that I would receive an email the following day with the details of the surgery (date & time) and the surgeon’s name.
I paid the deposit in good faith, expecting to receive the email on Saturday 9th September.
I was also informed that Optical Express in Norwich does not open on Sundays.
I did not receive the email as promised.
I also digitally signed some other forms on a handheld device whilst being taken around the various rooms and eye drops administered. The questions were read out to me but I didn’t see them
I was told these were to be placed in my Patients Hub where you can view your signed documents.
The terms and conditions do not show my full name on the document.
It does not show the amount of the Deposit paid.
It does not show the amount of Balance to be paid.
It does not show the name of the Surgeon.
It does not show the date of the surgery.

As I did not receive the email as promised and no documents were placed on the Patients Hub and no amount showing on the credit card receipt, I cancelled the “booking” on Tuesday 12th September and was then informed that my £500 deposit would not be refunded because I was too late cancelling after three days.

Please note that no surgery had been booked for me up until the time of my “Cancellation”.

This process appears to be a scam OE to withhold the £500.

OE also informed me that should my surgery go “wrong” then the NHS will “right” their procedure 😳

OE made it clear that they preferred me to pay the deposit with a debit card, not a credit card, but at least I didn’t fall for that one. With a credit card it is easy to get back your money, not so with a debit card. I have contacted my credit card company and will keep you posted re my refund.

Since “cancelling” I received this email this morning and they have now deleted everything from my patient hub.

Last Edit:22 Sep 2023 09:23 by Angie G
  • Mairéad
  • Mairéad's Avatar Offline

Replied by Mairéad on topic Deposit Refunds

Posted 11 Sep 2023 14:30 #14
Hi Sasha,

A few weeks ago I booked in for LASIK in Belfast, Northern Ireland and paid a deposit of £395. The surgeon I was allocated was Dr Huba Kiss.

I started doing some more online research and thankfully came across your site and started to feel very nervous about going through with the procedure.

I went to a scan appointment on Friday to which I was told I would not be suitable for LASIK and I would need iDesign Lasik at an additional cost per eye of £200 so £400 in total - I was told at my initial appointment in Derry, iDesign was not for me but now being told by Belfast my pupils are large so iDesign is my only option.

I questioned the optometrist Mary about additional risks associated with having large pupils such as halos with nighttime driving as well as all the other horror stories I heard online. She wasn't interested in hearing anything I had to say, and when I asked for percentages of side affects/complications her response was here are my percentages, the surgeon will have his own. I said statistics shouldn't differ from person to person, again she wasn't interested. She did not want to be challenged or questioned about the risks. I was due to have a video consultation with Huba Kiss later this month - Mary advised I could voice any concerns to him. However I'm not quite sure how a video call could offer me any reassurance as he isn't even going to examine my eyes??

My surgery was already due to cost £5090, but now they want £5490. I emailed the Derry clinic where I had my first appointment to say I would not be going ahead with the procedure as it was not the one I signed up for and did not have the additional £400 in my budget. I was planning on not going ahead with the surgery anyway as it seemed much too risky, so I thought I would have to fight for my deposit. But as they changed the surgery I was due to have am I entitled to a full refund of the £395 deposit? Neither the Derry/Belfast clinics are answering my calls and Nicole from Derry has not replied to my email requesting to cancel the procedure.

I was hoping you could help. Thank you very much for everything you do for people who are a lot worse off than me.

Mairéad
Please send your phone number:
Last Edit:11 Sep 2023 14:46 by Mairéad
  • Paul Mc

Replied by Paul Mc on topic £7,000 Deposit

Posted 05 Sep 2023 15:38 #15
Hi Sasha,
I’m 46, and was due to have lens replacement surgery at Optical Express White City Westfield store last Friday, however on meeting the surgeon two days before he discovered an issue with my retinas and said the surgery could not go ahead.
I got a phone call last Friday saying I would get a full £7000 refund but that it would take 28 days. Is this correct that it takes this long? I also asked the caller to put it an email confirming that I would get a full refund - I never got the email.
Are you able to offer any advice please?
Thanks
Paul
admin: Amazed that you got to see the surgeon before the day of surgery, as OE’s cost cutting exercises in recent years have mostly done away with that right! (I’m told they’ve also cut down on the amount of anaesthetic drops they administer during ops!)
Besides the fact that at 46 you’re too young for RLE, they have no legal right to keep your money for even 24 hrs, let alone 28 (working!) days :kiss:
Last Edit:05 Sep 2023 16:39 by Paul Mc
  • noor785
  • noor785's Avatar Offline

Replied by noor785 on topic Deceptive Practices: My Battle with Optical Express for a £500 Refund

Posted 31 Aug 2023 20:43 #16
In a world where trust and reliability are paramount, the shocking reality of deceptive practices in the corporate realm often takes unsuspecting consumers by surprise. My name is Mahnoor, and I'm a student who fell victim to the unscrupulous tactics of a renowned eyecare provider, Optical Express. Let me take you through my frustrating journey of how they took £500 from me, provided false information, and left me in a state of confusion.

The story begins with my hopes of better vision. Saving up £500, a considerable sum for a student, I sought the services of Optical Express for an eye treatment. Their reputed name and the promise of improved vision were too enticing to ignore. Little did I know that this would mark the start of a harrowing ordeal.

As I walked into the clinic with optimism, little did I know that my trust would be shattered. Day by day, as I consulted with their representatives, I was fed false information that led me down a rabbit hole of confusion. The treatment details they provided didn't align with the reality I faced after the procedure. My vision remained unchanged, and I found myself questioning the validity of their claims.

Doubts began to surface, and I decided to halt the process. But here's where things took an alarming turn. Instead of understanding my concerns, they pressured me to continue, leaving me more bewildered than ever. The relentless sales tactics left me feeling trapped, as if I had no choice but to proceed, despite my reservations.

Finally mustering the courage, I canceled the surgery and clearly communicated that I did not wish to proceed any further. It was a decision driven by my gut feeling that something was amiss. Imagine my shock when I was assured that my refund would be processed from the very day I canceled. However, as time dragged on, my patience wore thin.

Four months have now passed since that moment, and I'm left grappling with frustration and a growing sense of injustice. Multiple calls to their customer service have been met with a barrage of unfulfilled promises and a lack of transparency. The very essence of customer service – understanding and addressing consumer concerns – seemed to be missing from their playbook.

Adding insult to injury, Optical Express failed to adhere to their own policy. Their clear policy stated that in the event of a surgery cancellation, a refund would be issued. But here I stand, the victim of their deceptive practices, with my money still unreturned.

Today, I find myself at a crossroads. I've reached the point where I must demand my hard-earned £500 back, not as a plea but as a rightful demand. The toll this ordeal has taken on my emotions, time, and trust cannot be underestimated. My patience has run its course, and I'm left with no choice but to consider legal action against Optical Express.

My story serves as a cautionary tale for every consumer out there. The corporate world can be a treacherous sea to navigate, filled with sharks in the guise of reputable names. Let this be a call for transparency, ethical practices, and the protection of consumer rights. Together, we can shed light on the dark corners of consumer deceit and demand fairness from those who seek to exploit our trust.

Last Edit:05 Sep 2023 16:38 by noor785
  • Kate Adams

Replied by Kate Adams on topic Deposit Refunds

Posted 31 Aug 2023 07:29 #17
Dear Sasha, thank you so much for your help and advice. I can confirm that I have received a full refund.
Last Edit:05 Sep 2023 16:39 by Kate Adams
  • Kate Adams

Replied by Kate Adams on topic Deposit Refunds

Posted 18 Aug 2023 15:12 #18
Hi

I found this site on Google.

I am 48 years old and wear glasses for reading and driving. I am a nurse and would love to get rid of wearing glasses and was due to have bilateral multi focal lens replacement surgery under the care of Dr Manu Mathew in Bristol at the beginning of September. I have never spoken to him, but read with interest and alarm that he has a significantly high number of legal cases against him. I am now very unsure about proceeding and have cancelled. I also cancelled my husband's consultation.

I have paid a £500 deposit. Total cost of surgery £7800.

I contacted the store and was called back by Abby, the sales person who sold this to me. I explained my concerns and what I’d read here. She said she knew about this site but didn’t know that Manu Mathew was involved, otherwise she wouldn’t have ‘upped him’ to me as much as she did. She assured me that my full £500 deposit would be refunded, but I’ve had nothing in writing to confirm this, and I am not happy about waiting 28 days.

Any information/advice would be appreciated thank you.

Kindest Regards
Kate
admin: If Abby has worked at OE for longer than a few months, then I can assure you that she knows exactly what’s going on and was lying to you. They are all paid commission on sales and DO NOT have option to pick and choose which surgeon to recommend to customers. There will be one surgeon available at the premises on the date the customer is booked in for. And this can change.
Not forgetting that at 48 you’re too young for RLE :kiss:
Last Edit:23 Aug 2023 14:41 by Kate Adams
  • Megan

Replied by Megan on topic Deposit Refunds

Posted 07 Aug 2023 14:30 #19
I went for my first appointment in late May when I was told I was suitable for laser eye surgery after having dilating drops put into my eyes. They pushed me to pay the deposit then and there and encouraged me to book the surgery asap, despite that I had a holiday booked because they assured me it would be fine.
I unfortunately paid my £500 deposit shortly after.

I then had more tests in Leeds and needed a phone consultation with the surgeon. This phone conversation felt very rushed with Dr Muhammad Kazmi essentially saying that it would not be fine for me to go on holiday so soon after the surgery and that I would need an in person appointment with him due to some issues with my tests. He also explained that at the original appointment they should have waited half an hour after the dilating drops to do some tests, which they did not, so I would need to do this again.

I called to change the date of my surgery and talk through my options to cancel, and they said I would be called back from the right department, but nobody ever called me back, and in late July I had an in person appointment with the surgeon who explained I had multiple issues that put me at significant risk if I had the surgery. This was not mentioned at all when I paid the deposit.

I am now looking to get the deposit refunded which they have said will take 28 days, but they cannot tell me how much I will be getting back. They promised someone will call to confirm the amount but again this has never happened.

Please can you advise me?
Last Edit:23 Aug 2023 08:13 by Megan
  • Tinni R

Replied by Tinni R on topic Deposit Refund refused

Posted 27 Jul 2023 14:01 #20
Hi Sasha,
I just want to say a big thank you to you.. I finally got my refund sorted.
It’s good work you doing and thank you for saving me from making a grave mistake. 🙏
Last Edit:27 Jul 2023 14:02 by Tinni R
Moderators: admin

OERML & My Beautiful Eyes Foundation rely on your support to expose the horrors of this unregulated industry.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Amount