logo6

The Truth

• Caro

Replied by Caro on topic The Truth (ex OE employee)

Posted 09 Nov 2013 10:01 #51
Ken, I suspect that you do have a conscience, as you left your job, and have posted here, but I still disagree with what you have to say. However, as a matter of interest, when you say that you and others spoke out, but nobody listened, who did you present your concerns to?
by Caro
  • Ken

Replied by Ken on topic The Truth (ex OE employee)

Posted 09 Nov 2013 09:15 #52
That's a very funny post Kali, you shoud be a comedian.
I'm not a surgeon. But I have stopped surgeons making errors. Yes, the responsibility in theatre is the surgeons, but if I see something I know is wrong, I will act. And have done, many times, as have many ex colleagues. As I have said, nobody sets out to damage people's eyes. Accidents happen, errors can be made, people sometimes don't heal or react the way we expect. It is SURGERY. The clue is in the name. ....people have spoken out before when issues have arisen with bad surgeons .We were ignored
I have never seen anyone personally who have had issues like what you people state on here, but I know they exist, I'm aware of the risks. I know problems happen.
I have seen many, many thousands of treatments take place.
I have NEVER knowingly put anyone's eyes at risk. If I had issues, I spoke out. I was very good at my job and I am proud to have helped so many people get rid of their glasses.
All I'm stating is that to slag off everyone who works at OE in the way you are on here is wrong.
I have no issues with your crusade, I know things are wrong in this sector and need to be fixed.
I'm just trying to give a voice to some people who don't deserve your wrath.
The nurses, the technicians, the support people who just try to do a good job in the crappiest of environments. Nobody speaks for them. I DO......
Last Edit:09 Nov 2013 09:24 by Ken
  • Kali
  • Kali's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Kali on topic The Truth (ex OE employee)

Posted 08 Nov 2013 23:05 #53
Ken, I'm somewhat confused.

Why have you posted on this Forum if you are not prepared to be totally honest? Was it in the hope that minimal contrition would redeem you for the part you played in damaging people's eyes in return for thirty pieces of silver?

Your first post was hopeful:
"06 Nov 2013 11:39 ...blame the management and some surgeons"

But when accused of complicity you changed direction:
"A member of my family had it done... I have seen many thousands of treatments... I have never seen a problem like what you unfortunate people have had... There are not thousands of people with these problems like you state... It is a rare occurrence, but it is surgery."

Ken wrote: Sorry, but at OE, all responsibility in the theatre is the surgeons decision.

Ken wrote: "And, yes, I have stopped surgeons making wrong decisions. Many, many times"

Please explain how, because if you are not a surgeon your second statement contradicts your first!

Ken wrote: I''m not prepared to detail what my role was"

You say you no longer work for Optical Express, if so, why the reluctance to tell us what your role was?
Last Edit:09 Nov 2013 00:51 by Kali
  • Ken

Posted 08 Nov 2013 21:04 #54
Sorry, but at OE, all responsibility in the theatre is the surgeons decision. You haven't worked there. I have, so I KNOW what I'm talking about. This is NOT NHS, as you point out all over the forum.
And, yes, I have stopped surgeons making wrong decisions. Many, many times. As have a lot of my ex colleagues. Have we spoke out? Yes. Were we listened to. NO.
As I state, these people are not to blame and I will continue to say it. Others are.
And sorry, I'm not prepared to detail what my role was. Just someone doing a hard job in a very difficult place, trying my best for the patients as many still do. These people are not worthy of all your scorn and wrath. Others are.
by Ken
  • Caro

Posted 08 Nov 2013 14:06 #55
Ken, "all responsibility in the theatre "does not fall under the surgeon's decision.
One of my friends is an experienced NHS theatre nurse and only thanks to her speaking out was a 'surgeon' found out to be not even a doctor before he was able to do too much harm.
Another surgeon, hell bent on amputating the wrong leg, called my friend an idiot for correcting him, then realised she was correct. What would have happened if she hadn't spoken out?
These people work as a TEAM, and my friend considers herself as being responsible for her patients. My eye surgery theatre team cheerfully waved away my pre-op letter without checking it and my friend told me she would NEVER have allowed this to happen in her theatre regarding this as an important safety check.
Last Edit:08 Nov 2013 14:47 by Caro
  • Mr Starburst
  • Mr Starburst's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 12

Replied by Mr Starburst on topic The Truth (ex OE employee)

Posted 08 Nov 2013 13:16 #56
I would appreciate if you could detail what your role in the clinic entailed.
Last Edit:08 Nov 2013 13:40 by Mr Starburst
  • Ken

Posted 08 Nov 2013 12:41 #57
I have nothing to be ashamed of. I have myself talked many people out of having treatment done for many reasons- some related to issues, some due to suitability, some to people's unrealistic expectations.
I always worked professionally and did my work to the best of my ability as do ALL the theatre staff.
What I am saying is don't tar everyone with the same brush.
All responsibility in the theatre falls under the surgeons decision.
Nobody should ever sign consents if they aren't happy, let alone get the treatment done. Nobofy should feel pressured into getting it done. If you aren't happy, use the long things sticking out of your bottom and walk.
No one sets out to ruin people's eyes. A member of my family had it done. I have seen many thousands of treatments. I have never seen a problem like what you unfortunate people have had. There are not thousands of people with these problems like you state. It is a rare occurrence, but it is surgery. There are risks. Going into hospital you can get MRSA. Is that everyone's fault? No. It is an unfortunate risk of surgery. I don't condone bad treatment. But again, nobody sets out to cause problems and if you really believe they do then that is truly sad.
by Ken
  • Disgusted

Replied by Disgusted on topic The Truth (ex OE employee)

Posted 08 Nov 2013 11:22 #58

Ken wrote: As for the person with the Nazi comment. Get a grip-that's a pathetic comment in very bad taste and you should be ashamed.

No, YOU should be ashamed for not speaking out, especially as you claim to have "escaped" from "this company".

Do you not realise if everyone like you told the truth then this would have been stopped years ago saving thousands more from having their eyes harmed!?

Ken wrote: In this company you fear for your job. Speaking out can end your career

Anyone who knows what's going on and keeps quiet to keep their job while people's eyes are being butchered are, in my book, as equally culpable as their bosses.
Last Edit:08 Nov 2013 11:23 by Disgusted
  • Mr Starburst
  • Mr Starburst's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 12

Replied by Mr Starburst on topic The Truth (ex OE employee)

Posted 08 Nov 2013 10:48 #59
Anyone who works for these businesses must be aware that many people have had their most precious sense utterly ruined by the managements ruthless pursuit of profit! Unless they consciously choose to ignore what's been going on, as this laser/refractive eye surgery scandal has been for years!

I would expect that many staff who have joined this company are fully aware of its questionable method of operation as well, with "sales" being more important than patient safety.

Yes, good jobs are hard to come by, but ANY JOB is hard to get, if not impossible, IF YOUR EYES HAVE BEEN RUINED!
Last Edit:08 Nov 2013 11:05 by Mr Starburst
  • Caro

Posted 08 Nov 2013 10:44 #60
Ken, perhaps we shouldn't paint such a black and white picture. It's fairer to say there are different levels of responsibility, knowledge and corruption, and perhaps there are even a few naive people who genuinely don't realise what is going on in these places, but ultimately, anyone who suspects anything is wrong, should act upon that knowledge, and if they don't, then they too are to blame. I know jobs are precious, but I could not work somewhere that treats peoples' eyes as a cheap commodity, and neither could most others. Staff can always speak out, instead of allowing innocent people to be put through hell as I was so that I wanted to end my life. No one should be put through that.
As for staff being told to travel hundreds of miles, you will find that many victims are having to do just that, to go to their many clinic appts becuase of dreadful eye problems.
I'm having to cup my hands around my eyes, just to read this, and I'm also in a great deal of pain, thanks to my treatment. I could have been saved from this hell had someone spoken out nearly 7 years ago, and countless others could be spared from such a fate if staff spoke out.
Last Edit:08 Nov 2013 11:08 by Caro
Moderators: admin

OERML & My Beautiful Eyes Foundation rely on your support to expose the horrors of this unregulated industry.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Amount