logo6

General Chat

• Emilio

Replied by Emilio on topic 2nd thoughts

Posted 24 Aug 2014 11:43 #421
Hello I was tempted to have a laser surgery, and I was just about to enter this morning in one of the branches of OE, but something said me to think about it for twice and to search for some more info.
After watching some of your videos and reading some of your comments, now I got a serious worry. Is it just OE not well recommended or is it any kind of laser surgery?
Thank you for this guys, you probably saved me troubles and now I am asking for more opinions.
by Emilio
  • Robin
  • Robin's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by Robin on topic Mileage costs

Posted 22 Aug 2014 08:38 #422
Just wondering if anyone who has had help from OE for travelling expenses can tell me what they were allowed for mileage.
by Robin
  • Mike

Replied by Mike on topic Cancelled OE appt!

Posted 09 Aug 2014 13:49 #423
Thank you for taking the time to produce this website. I have now cancelled my appointment with OE

Mike
by Mike
  • admin
  • admin's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 153

Replied by admin on topic The Telegraph, May 2003

Posted 29 Jul 2014 11:30 #424
Eleven years ago, in May 2003, journalist Jenny Booth wrote an article for The Telegraph, even then highlighting concerns regarding the laser eye surgery industry's misleading advertising and complication rates.

"Clinics are potentially misleading patients by claiming very low complication rates," Ms McIntosh said. "Symptoms that can have a real debilitating effect on patients are sometimes dismissed as minor. It is another example of the lack of reliable data about the safety of this type of treatment, and the ability of the surgeons who carry it out."

NB: At that time RLE was simply cataract surgery and not sold as a more expensive option to laser, as it is now.

The now notorious Dr Stefan Klopper worked for Boots in 2003, when he displayed signs of integrity::
"A spokesman for Boots, which charges £1,250 per eye, said that retreatment rates across its clinics were 6 to 7 per cent. However, Dr Stefan Klopper, an opthalmic surgeon in Boots' Regent Street clinic in London, told The Telegraph that failure rates were one in 10."

And this should resonate with every damaged patient:
"A recent investigation by Health Which? said that some private clinics were cutting corners because of pressures to stay profitable. Customers were diagnosed by junior staff and did not see their surgeon before the day of the operation, giving little time for them to be properly assessed."

As many people know - especially us victims, the situation has become far more serious, and in my opinion reached epidemic proportions. Yet the majority of the press/media have ignored the problems brought to their attention - advertising revenue often the deliberator, which is why the BBC have been supportive.

Which? magazine reported their findings on two previous occasions, the most recent in 2009. However, I expect the forthcoming September report will be more illuminating, so perhaps this time the press and media will pay attention and the truth about the horrors of this industry finally exposed.

The notorious Dr Stefan Klopper worked for Boots in 2003:

Full article here:
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1429116/...e-surgery-risks.html
:kiss:
Last Edit:29 Jul 2014 16:11 by admin
Attachments:
  • Angry

Replied by Angry on topic Refractive eye surgery Industry

Posted 26 Jul 2014 11:03 #425
Mr Starburst, I couldn't agree more! This industry has been allowed to do as it pleases for far too long. The last people that many in this industry care about are those of us that have our eyes and lives ruined, thanks to their greed. In fact, I think they despise us for the inconvenience we cause them when we complain!

I would rather they had mugged me like common criminals for a few thousand pounds of my money, at least then I could move on. They are the lowest of the low.
Last Edit:26 Jul 2014 11:27 by Angry
  • Mr Starburst
  • Mr Starburst's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 12

Replied by Mr Starburst on topic Refractive eye surgery Industry

Posted 26 Jul 2014 08:58 #426
I am of the opinion that what has been done to many patients eyes goes way beyond what could be termed 'medical negligence' and are, in reality, acts of outright criminality !
Last Edit:26 Jul 2014 11:24 by Mr Starburst
  • Bernie

Replied by Bernie on topic Optical Express Ruined My Life Forum

Posted 22 Jul 2014 16:26 #427
Hi,I'Im 23 years old and had laser eye surgery in 2012, which worked for a year. My eyes have then since worsened and now I'm back to needing contacts/glasses to drive - which was the reason i had the surgery in the first place. After 8 months and £50 later i finally retrieved my medical records but I'm not sure what route to take next.
Does anyone have any information or help on what i can do next as at the moment i feel like i have just wasted my money.
Last Edit:22 Jul 2014 17:53 by Bernie
  • Concerned

Replied by Concerned on topic Last minute cancellation of surgery

Posted 21 Jul 2014 22:22 #428
When a patient has gone through the Optical Express assessment, signed agreement to undergo treatment and made "payment in full" via Hitachi finance, only to be turned down by the surgeon at the last minute on the day - like poor Judy (see Deposit Refund post 20 July), does anyone know if the financial bonus awarded to the optometrist and "refractive technician" (aka sales counsellor) forfeited? Let's hope so - plus a penalty! All good stuff for the forthcoming Which? Report I am sure.
Last Edit:22 Jul 2014 09:34 by Concerned
  • Mr Starburst
  • Mr Starburst's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 12

Replied by Mr Starburst on topic Eye surgery

Posted 13 Jul 2014 23:07 #429
The stark reality is that these operations are performed in the best interests of the businesses involved (ie: ruthless pursuit of profit) rather than in the best clinical interests of the patients.
Last Edit:14 Jul 2014 07:53 by Mr Starburst
  • Ex employee

Replied by Ex employee on topic Optical Express Ruined My Life Forum

Posted 06 Jul 2014 13:21 #430

glowing wrote: Having managed one of Optical Express's Flagship Surgery and Consultation clinics i can vouch that not only do they ruin the lives of their patients, they also do the same for their staff..... Horrified and resigned after 6 months...

Agree with your comment. Why would anyone want to work for them. The wise ones have moved on and got themselves a future !!!!!
Last Edit:06 Jul 2014 15:08 by Ex employee
Moderators: admin

OERML & My Beautiful Eyes Foundation rely on your support to expose the horrors of this unregulated industry.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Amount