logo6

DRY EYES & MGD

• mrdryeye
  • mrdryeye's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by mrdryeye on topic Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD)

Posted 15 Jan 2013 11:40 #111
I'm re-posting this because for some reason my original reply appeared before the quote I was replying to? I'm not sure why this happened.

I'm not an OE patient so I hope it is OK for me to post here. Poppy your case sounds similar to mine so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions. I have been left with dry eye after my LASIK surgery but after contacting a few solicitors I was told I didn't have a case as dry eye is mentioned on the consent form.

Poppy is your case against OE based solely on your blepharitis dry eye or are there other eye issues as well? You said you saw an Opthalmic Surgeon then later got a medico legal report from Brett Halliday was he also the surgeon who you saw? I paid out of my own pocket to see a surgeon but he just gave me the LASIK doesn't cause Blepharitis line(he would say that he's a LASIK surgeon!). If Brett Halliday wasn't the surgeon may I ask who was? I just want to see a Opthamologist who will admit that people with Blepharitis shouldn't have LASIK.

I'd really appreciate any advice and I'm sorry if I'm intruding on a forum designed for Optical Express patients.
by mrdryeye
  • Mr Starburst
  • Mr Starburst's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 12

Replied by Mr Starburst on topic Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD)

Posted 14 Jan 2013 23:28 #112
Last information I had on Brett Halliday was that he is involved with the clinic, which to be "Accurate", ( The clue's in the name) robbed me of £2400 for ops to treat vision problems from a previous clinic that made no improvement to my surgery inflicted vision problems whatsoever, and has ruled out a recognised treatment option, and caused me to suffer over 6 more years of poor quality vision.
by Mr Starburst
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poppy
  • Adversary

Replied by Adversary on topic Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD)

Posted 14 Jan 2013 22:35 #113
No problem...we all seem to have something in common.....a battle against he profit orientated high street laser surgery conveyor belt.
My observation is : INFORMED CONSENT IS A PROCESS from initial consultation to surgery. IT IS NOT JUST THE CONTENT OF ONE SINGULAR DOCUMENT.
Don't know what the process is with your provider, but with OE the consent form per se is presented minutesBEFORE seeing the surgeon and there is little time for discussion. t this point, naturally the patient is understandably nervous. his was the case for me and I certainly signed based on the 'counselling' I had been given at the initial cnsultation.
As regards your dry eyes , please google DR SCHALLHORN CHIEF MEDICAL DRECTR OPTICAL EXPRESS 'EMINENT' 'EXPERT'in his field. He has a lot to say about how it is essential for a positive outcome that patients are carefully screened for dry eyes and if the condition is presenting and the patient is STILL deemed suitable for surgery , the condition MUST be treated and STABILISED ******BEFORE*********** SURGERY
by Adversary
  • Poppy
  • Poppy's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by Poppy on topic Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD)

Posted 14 Jan 2013 22:06 #114
My 'surgeoen' was Waseem Aziz.
After several months of complaining to OE that I could not see clearly I returned to the surgeon who admitted that he had under corrected one eye and over corrected the other eye. When asked what his failure rate is he said about 5% which contradicts all of OE's marketing claims. That 5% refers to his corrective procedures, that is his second attempts. It does not include those, like me, who would not trust anyone to touch their eyes ever again. His failure rate could be double that or worse.
The Consent Form mentions dry eyes, however it does not mention the need for long term/ lifelong medication, disruption to the cornea resulting in poor vision which cannot be corrected with spectacles or the corneal erosion which will cause severe pain for the rest of ones life. Can you imagine as one gets older and probably has to rely on others for personal care? Can you imagine having to rely on someone else to remember to administer eye drops, heated eye bags and to bathe ones eyes regularly?
I believe that if you contact the My Beautiful Eyes website there is information and help about guiding you through the legal route.
by Poppy
  • mrdryeye
  • mrdryeye's Avatar Offline

Replied by mrdryeye on topic Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD)

Posted 14 Jan 2013 21:10 #115
I'm not an OE patient so I hope it is OK for me to post here. Poppy your case sounds similar to mine so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions. I have been left with dry eye after my LASIK surgery but after contacting a few solicitors I was told I didn't have a case as dry eye is mentioned on the consent form.

Poppy is your case against OE based solely on your blepharitis dry eye or are there other eye issues as well? You said you saw an Opthalmic Surgeon then later got a medico legal report from Brett Halliday was he also the surgeon who you saw? I paid out of my own pocket to see a surgeon but he just gave me the LASIK doesn't cause Blepharitis line(he would say that he's a LASIK surgeon!). If Brett Halliday wasn't the surgeon may I ask who was? I just want to see a Opthamologist who will admit that people with Blepharitis shouldn't have LASIK.

I'd really appreciate any advice and I'm sorry if I'm intruding on a forum designed for Optical Express patients.
by mrdryeye
  • Adversary

Posted 14 Jan 2013 16:01 #116
I wish I'd paid more.for bona fide treatment and aftercare. Of course, this is easily said with the benefit of hindsight. At the time, I was totally won over by the perceived professionalism of the staff ; I had not even intended to sign up at he initial consultation as I was merely on a investigative mission. But I was taken in. However I don't regard myself as gullible....it would never have occurred to me that a health professional could be acting with anything but integrity and a duty of care. But sadly, how wrong I was. Professional is a correct descriptive but PROFESSIONAL SALESPERSON is nearer the mark than HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL and I think this is borne out by the wording of OE job ads.
I was not carefully screened for pre existing dry eyes despite informing them of this on more than one occasion and now I am suffering the consequences. The visual problems I now have due to severe dry eyes and Recurrent Corneal Erosion will be with me for life.
Thanks OE staff for helping me to make the WORST DECISION OF MY LIFE.....hope it was worth it for you!!!???
by Adversary
  • Adversary

Posted 14 Jan 2013 15:48 #117
I agree entirely...you only have to look at the OE advert for an optometrist ( posted here ) to realise that profit takes precedence over patients' eyesight. The overriding quality sought from the applicant is commercial acumen rather than optical qualification, it would appear. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but is not the job of an Optometrist to examine eyes, to detect problems and fifer solutions.
by Adversary
  • Poppy
  • Poppy's Avatar Offline

Replied by Poppy on topic DRY EYES : PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH DR SCHALLHORN

Posted 14 Jan 2013 12:39 #118
I'm sorry to say that I am nearly 3 years after surgery and my dry eyes are getting worse not better.
At my preliminary examination they failed to do a tear film test. On the day of surgery they entered on my notes that I had a poor tear film. Obviously I was NOT advised of this at the time.
Total negligence by OE and the incompetents that they employ.
by Poppy
  • Poppy
  • Poppy's Avatar Offline

Replied by Poppy on topic Laser Eye Surgery Causes MGD!

Posted 14 Jan 2013 12:35 #119
Following disastrous surgery at OE Trafford Centre I finally paid privately to see an Opthalmic Surgeon. He immediately identified that I had blepharitis (which I had never heard of). He said that this was a pre- existing condition and contra indicative to Laser surgery. I asked him why OE had not picked this up? He replied that "Optical Express are well known for employing staff with the absolute minimum qualifications and experience. They probably wouldn't have known what to look for."

I was deeply shocked and consulted a solicitor. I have paid to obtain a medico legal report from Brett Halliday. During my examination I commented to him " I cannot believe that this has happened, I trusted these people with my eyes, I believed them to be medical professionals and behave with the same ethics as a doctor. His reply was "Well, that's what happens when you deal with a profit orientated Company!"

How can this Company remain in business?
by Poppy
  • InthebusinessnotOE

Replied by InthebusinessnotOE on topic Laser Eye Surgery Causes MGD!

Posted 14 Jan 2013 01:04 #120
You are clearly passionate about this. I have already provided an explanation on how MGD can be aggravated by laser eye surgery. I know David Gartry - a colleague. Not sure if him not responding provides credence to your statement.

I cannot prove that blowing my nose does or does not cause a brain tumor. Does that mean that blowing my nose causes a brain tumor ? The statement that is being made does not seem to follow.

Looking at this scientifically, the ocular surface is in a steady state of homeostasis. Meibomian gland disease may well exist but there are no symptoms because there are compensatory mechanisms in place. Once one of these mechanisms is affected, for instance laser eye surgery causing transient loss of sensation, then things are thrown out of a steady state and symptoms arise. isn't it interesting that when we see MGD in patients and treat we do not wind up with chronic problems ?

Another interesting point is that treatment at certain places seem to wind up with more problems - they all use the same laser !!!! Could it be that the UV radiation from the laser is affecting the ocular surface - perhaps the goblet cells causing even more disarray than perhaps others ?

Many things to ponder about. For those affected, my sympathies but there are ways of treating the problem - research well and find someone who is good at looking after dry eye problems.

For those who have not had laser eye surgery - choose your providing institution and surgeon well.- pay a bit more and get the best...
by InthebusinessnotOE
Moderators: admin

OERML & My Beautiful Eyes Foundation rely on your support to expose the horrors of this unregulated industry.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Amount