logo6

REFRACTIVE LENS EXCHANGE aka RLE/NLR +IOLs

• Alfar
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Alfar on topic Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE)

Posted 01 Nov 2014 22:28 #231
There lies the problem. There are issues that affect some people more than others. Who knows why! If more than 50 % of patients are happier than the other 50%, the procedure will, theoretically speaking, flourish. The rub Is who can predict who is going to be in which 50%. Each new model of lens is going to make the % of happier patients higher than the unhappier ones.
Would anyone want to wait for the perfect Mobile phone or Computer before buying one. <:-/
Corporate healthcare is ultimately like your supermarkets. They have to drive their prices down and improve their products to survive. I hear Morrisons are now competing with Aldi/Lidl. That has to be good. If there is no competition - old fart surgeons are going to be using outdated equipment and charge top Dollar just because they built up a good reputation when they had more hair on their heads.
by Alfar
  • Alfar

Replied by Alfar on topic Torn up my 'gagging order'!

Posted 01 Nov 2014 22:26 #232
BTW can you see and read better now without glasses than before the surgery. If you exclude the nuisance of glare and floaters.
by Alfar
  • Mr Starburst
  • Mr Starburst's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 12

Replied by Mr Starburst on topic Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE)

Posted 01 Nov 2014 14:05 #233
There may end up being a 'perfect' lens in the future, but until there is, it is absolutely disgusting that RLE is being aggressively sold to people who have no clinical need (visually impairing cataract or other) for their natural crystalline lens to be removed. Why the hell should 'imperfect lenses' be put in patients eyes ! RLE is the removal of healthy eye tissue in the ruthless pursuit of business profit by those in what is a 'commercial industry'.
by Mr Starburst
The following user(s) said Thank You: HazelJ
  • Alfar

Replied by Alfar on topic Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE)

Posted 01 Nov 2014 12:37 #234
All surgery is limited by the development and advancement of technology. I remember only 10 to 15 years ago when people who had knee replacements could walk but still needed to use a walking stick. Yesterday I met a work colleague who had a knee replacement a few months ago and who could squat with ease. Mind blowing!

Similarly I belive IOLs for reading vision have been around for just 15 years or so and the glare and haloes were more sever in the early years, but the newer models give lesser degrees of glare etc, but can there ever be a 'perfect' lens?
Last Edit:01 Nov 2014 13:06 by Alfar
  • HazelJ
  • HazelJ's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by HazelJ on topic Torn up my 'gagging order'!

Posted 31 Oct 2014 18:13 #235
Anonymous.
I was the same as your sister in law, thought they where great and even tried to convince my brother to go but luckily he went to Sth Africa on holiday instead. My partner also decided to see how I got on, waiting for halos and sore eyes to go, and as they haven't he won't he won't have his done. OE will always tell you that you have 20/20 vision. I went and had my eyes checked with my optom who had tested my eyes 6mths before OE got hold of them and I do not have 20/20 vision and was prescribed glasses for driving, but OE will still say I have 20/20. Wouldn't waste anymore time with them.
Last Edit:31 Oct 2014 19:06 by HazelJ
  • HazelJ
  • HazelJ's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by HazelJ on topic Torn up my 'gagging order'!

Posted 31 Oct 2014 18:07 #236
I went to another company who told me there was nothing they could do and stick with glasses, unfortunately I got a call out of the blue from OE, offering these amazing lenses that would give me 20/20 vision etc, just what I wanted to hear, and like the previous poster I went gladly to have them done.
Shame they hadn't told me about Floaters, that the Halos are for life, and I won't have 20/20 vision, or I wouldn't have gone.
Last Edit:31 Oct 2014 19:04 by HazelJ
  • Interested

Replied by Interested on topic Question to anonymous

Posted 31 Oct 2014 17:52 #237
Did your sister in law receive a payment for you undergoing surgery do you know? Sorry to ask. This is another dubious practice- "refer a friend"!
by Interested
  • Anonymous

Replied by Anonymous on topic Torn up my 'gagging order'!

Posted 31 Oct 2014 13:09 #238
Hi - I went to OE because my sister in law had received new lenses and absolutely raved about them: best thing ever, will never need glasses again, will have 100% perfect vision for ever!! She's a new sister in law and so I didn't know much about her previous eye health etc.

Anyway, and this is something I will obviously always regret, I was a willing volunteer to my first appointment. After this, the rest is as it probably was for everyone else. They confirmed everything the zealous sister in law had said - perfect vision, never to get the cataracts that would most likely be on the way in the next couple of years, a very slight risk of some ghosting - but, very, very slight and easily got used to. As I only had mild eye problems I asked about having laser as it would be less invasive - but was told that they wouldn't do laser for anyone over 50 because of the likely imminent cataracts. I was so stupid: my mother had cataracts starting when she was 80+ - I was 52.

Then I had the exchange, then I got the extreme ghosting, very large halos around objects, blurred contrast in dim light etc etc. For nearly a year I've been told that my eyesight is perfect, that I have 20/20 vision etc. This site has made me realise that I'm not alone (far from it) and that OE's approach:denial - is just that. I guess they think that if they keep telling you that your eyes are OK you will start to doubt your own sanity or something?
by Anonymous
  • Alfar

Replied by Alfar on topic Torn up my 'gagging order'!

Posted 31 Oct 2014 07:07 #239
Out of interest - what made you decide to go to Optical Express in the first place rather than somewhere or someone else? Were you made aware that glare and haloes etc were a possibility after this sort of surgery?
Last Edit:31 Oct 2014 08:43 by Alfar
  • Heather A
  • Heather A's Avatar Offline

Replied by Heather A on topic Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE)

Posted 28 Oct 2014 08:00 #240
Hi. Sorry to hear your story - and very concerned to hear that you still get blurred vision and halos etc AFTER the explant has been done. Is there any further treatment for you, or is this the best we can all hope for? Sorry if this sounds negative, but a realistic end goal would probably be the best thing for all of us. A few people using this forum, including myself, are in the position of considering having an explant. Knowing what the likely outcome of this could be, would help greatly with the decision of having it done or not (I appreciate this depends on how bad the situation is currently).

The problem is: we all want our original lenses back! Explant to original lens - we all say yes. Explant to another foreign agent - not so sure.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Heather
Last Edit:28 Oct 2014 08:55 by Heather A
Moderators: admin

OERML & My Beautiful Eyes Foundation rely on your support to expose the horrors of this unregulated industry.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Amount