logo6

Bloody eye

• Jess B
  • Jess B's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Jess B on topic Seeing dots, Astigmatisms and misery

Posted 16 Jul 2014 19:41 #131
Hi, I had surgery, in Jan 2010, now aged 27 , I need glasses daily, I see dots in my left eye and have astigmatism in both eyes.

My prescription is complex because my eyes are so butchered, and I'm left miserable.

I've been told I shouldn't have been operated on because I was too young (only 22 when I had the fatal surgery) and my eyes and prescription were unstable.

Since the surgery - which was rushed and careless at best - I've suffered ever since.

Optical Express were just worried about money, without any care for my wellbeing.

I will tell my story to anyone wanting to hear details.
Last Edit:16 Jul 2014 21:44 by Jess B
  • Armchair critic

Replied by Armchair critic on topic Post iLasik Floaters and Cataracts

Posted 15 Jul 2014 13:21 #132

Eve wrote:
My pre-op assessment on 19 May 2014 showed signs of cataracts in both eyes. The OE optometrist said this was rare, but not caused by the laser wavefront surgery. I have researched this on the internet and now believe both the floaters and cataracts were caused by my surgery...
Has anyone else had floaters and cataracts after lasik eye surgery?

"Most eye surgeries, including LASIK, carry risk of cataracts. Anecdotal reports of cataracts shortly after LASIK, even in relatively young patients, suggest a cause and effect relationship. Moreover, steriod drops routinely prescribed after LASIK may hasten the onset of cataracts.

Patients with signs of cataracts before LASIK should not have LASIK because vision may be corrected with the intraocular lens used for cataract surgery. Ironically, after LASIK the altered corneal surface causes inaccurate measurement of the intraocular lens power for cataract surgery. This means that patients who have LASIK surgery and later develop cataracts may be right back in glasses after cataract surgery -- or worse, subjected to the inherent risks of multiple surgeries."
www.lasikcomplications.com/inducedcataract.htm
Last Edit:15 Jul 2014 13:21 by Armchair critic
  • Saul Chacon
  • Saul Chacon's Avatar Offline

Replied by Saul Chacon on topic My wife asked to pay for copy of her own letter!!!

Posted 11 Jul 2014 14:08 #133

Saul Chacon wrote: My wife has a number of health problems and was refused surgery by Optical Express, BUT, they told her if she got a letter from her GP then they would do it.
How desperate are OPTICAL EXPRESS for money?

Yesterday I emailed David Moulsdale to ask for a copy of the GP's letter my wife gave to Optical Express. Today Stephen Hannan sent an email asking to speak to me.

I called Hannan a few hours ago and spoke to David Mungall.
He told me I have to pay £50 - for my wife's own letter :sick:
Last Edit:11 Jul 2014 14:13 by Saul Chacon
  • Eve

Replied by Eve on topic Post iLasik Floaters and Cataracts

Posted 11 Jul 2014 12:28 #134
I have been short sighted since I was 10 years old and have always hated wearing glasses, mostly because, in all of those years, I have never found a pair I liked which were comfortable. So, at age 56 (last year) I decided to investigate laser eye surgery. My partner had his done in 2007 with great success, also, several colleagues had successful treatment. What could go wrong?

I had also undergone tests at another eye clinic and both establishments noted my eyes as very short sighted (-7) but very healthy.

I had iLasik on 7th June 2013 at Optical Express, Within months after surgery, I had flashing in my left eye followed by the presence of loads of floaters. This was investigated by Optical Express and I was told this was due to my being very myopic. My vision was not 20:20 and I was told I would need a top up.

My pre-op assessment on 19 May 2014 showed signs of cataracts in both eyes. The OE optometrist said this was rare, but not caused by the laser wavefront surgery. I have researched this on the internet and now believe both the floaters and cataracts were caused by my surgery - neither of which were mentioned as a risk to me pre surgery.

Optical Express have said they will perform cataract surgery (RLE/refractive lens exchange) free of charge, but I am hesitant to accept this as I think I would get better treatment on the NHS.

Has anyone else had floaters and cataracts after lasik eye surgery?
Last Edit:11 Jul 2014 12:50 by Eve
  • Saul Chacon
  • Saul Chacon's Avatar Offline

Replied by Saul Chacon on topic Who is negligent?

Posted 10 Jul 2014 13:53 #135
I am the signatory on the HITACHI CAPITAL finance agreement for my wife's LASIK surgery which went wrong becauze the surgeon MR LUCA ANTICO cut the flap too deep. Sasha Rodoy is helping me to try to get the agreement cancelled and my payments refunded.

My wife has a number of health problems and was refused surgery by Optical Express, BUT, they told her if she got a letter from her GP then they would do it.

My family are being torn apart because of this problem which should never have happened! I am waiting for Optical Express to give me a copy of the letter my wife's doctor wrote saying she could have surgery and will be giving this to the solicitor. But I think OE should have refused the surgery and NOT asked for a doctor's letter. They could see for themselves that she has problems.

How desperate are OPTICAL EXPRESS for money?!
Last Edit:10 Jul 2014 14:04 by Saul Chacon
Attachments:
  • Frogdog

Replied by Frogdog on topic I NEED GLASSES AGAIN

Posted 04 Jul 2014 09:04 #136
i had idesign Lasik in Nottingham last week (24th June) after having done a decent level of research - mainly comparing the different companies and processes.

My prescription was -4.5 in my right eye, -3.75 in the left.

At my 24hr checkup my vision was great - able to read the 4/4 line. Over the next 5 days though my near vision got worse - still see well into the distance.

At my 7 day checkup i was told I had been 'over corrected' and both eyes were about +1 (described by the optometrist as a minor over correction). I was (and still am) a little shell shocked by this so didn't really ask any questions other than 'can it be put right' which i was told it can be by having a corrective (second) procedure in 3-6 months when the eyes have healed and settled down.

I was not offered (nor did I ask for) an explanation of how this could have happened - though I expect 'healing' to be the answer.

I don't, at the moment, have any other problems (touch wood I never will).

If I had known this would be the outcome (and yes I did read all the disclaimer and understood it could happen) I wouldn't have had it done. The implication through all the marketing is that errors and post op problems are rare, though now I have done deeper investigation clearly it is not that rare.

Over the last 48 hours I have discovered this website and facebook page and have scared myself to death with the stories on there - i feel for the people involved.

My question is - how should i proceed from here ? Should I request a meeting to explain to me what has happened, or my medical notes from OE in Nottingham ? Should I have the second process or live with being long sighted (which is far worse then being short sighted I must say). Are the risks associated with a second procedure greater than or the same as the first ? If my eyes did 'over heal' how come its exactly the same in both eyes ?

The general thread seems to be people mistrust OE - as do I now, but is there anyone with experience of a second procedure within 6 months ?
by Frogdog
  • Emma Adley

Replied by Emma Adley on topic 6 surgeries = glasses, headaches and sickness!

Posted 02 Jul 2014 15:58 #137
Hi, I found this site via the 'OERML' Facebook and wanted to share my experience.

I started treatment nearly three years ago and have had 6 surgeries, 3 on both eyes. I have been left with one highly long sighted right eye and one short sighted left eye. I feel sick without the glasses I now have to wear, cannot play county cricket as my 3D vision has been impaired and was treated dreadfully by staff who simply said I'd 'have to see if my eyes sorted themselves out...'

I've paid £4500 for 6 surgeries, never able to wear contacts again, stuck in glasses, suffer daily headaches and feel depressed as I hate glasses, the reason I started the process in the first place - I wanted to be able to get away from glasses forever! I have been cheated and lied to...

I am in the prime of my life, newly married and I should be happy and feeling confident, but instead I have no confidence due to the glasses - which I was bullied over when I was younger. Not to mention, if I wanted a decent pair of glasses OE told me I would have to pay for them myself. I could only select from the cheap CRAPPY selection which they offer damaged patients.

Not once have they bothered to check whether I am okay, or how my eye sight is. In fact at the last appointment the optometrist just said I'd have to see how I went with the difference between my eyes, even though I told her I was feeling sick and getting headaches, she offered no explanation as to why this might be happening so I got a second opinion from Specsavers who saw me for 40mins and checked everything (OE appt time 14mins - no checking of the eye, or thorough eye test carried out).. Specsavers gave me a prescription for my glasses and managed to spot the astigmatism in both eyes which OE hadn't even mentioned for my prescription.

I have considered taking anti-depressants but this would interfere with my work (i'm a teacher) but I am so unhappy with my vision and having to wear glasses all the time to stop myself from feeling sick. The glasses do help with the headaches but in order to aid with this the glasses have to be large lenses so that I cannot see around them as this makes me feel like I have motion sickness... The whole thing makes me feel like crying.

At every appointment I was told 'it will be fine' and 'this is normal' until the day after my last surgery where they measured my right eye as going from -0.5 to a staggering +2.5.. I have spoken to another surgeon at the local hospital who said this is impossible unless the surgeon miscalculated the laser time! So there are surely grounds for a case just from the last treatment.

Nobody ever told me that I may end up wearing glasses forever, or that my eyes may no longer be able to take contact lenses if the treatment didn't work. They also told me that my eyes were suitable for the procedure, all 6 times! Whereas a friend who is an optician said that the strength of my prescription would put me in the high risk for failure (original prescription -7.5 and -7.0)

I am seeking legal advice.
Last Edit:02 Jul 2014 17:33 by Emma Adley
  • Anonymous

Replied by Anonymous on topic Dry Eyes

Posted 30 Jun 2014 09:46 #138
I would love to speak with someone who is also suffering from severe dry eyes. I find the burning and blurred vision (not to mention the floaters) so difficult to deal with every day. I have tried every drop on the market, and am now taking 100mg of doxycycline and FML steroid drops every day along with heating (using a blephasteam) and massaging the eyelids, and putting lacrilube in at night. Nothing really seems to help! If anyone can offer any support then please do get in touch, Sasha has my details. I struggle every day to deal with the fact that surgeons, who know that such debilitating complications can occur are still willing to put their patient's eyes at risk by offering these procedures! I struggled to wear my contact lenses for more than a couple of hours yet was still given the go ahead to proceed - my eyes were too dry to begin with, this was never going to be a successful outcome! I look forward to speaking to you. Many thanks Debs
by Anonymous
  • MRS x

Replied by MRS x on topic I NEED GLASSES AGAIN

Posted 14 Jun 2014 13:05 #139
After my eyes have regressed to where they were before surgery, but with added side effects and problems, I've been offered free 'enhancement' surgery'!

But I have been told that my current symptoms would be worse than they are plus a lengthy recovery period.

I ma not risking damaging my eyes any further and won't be having their free 'enhancement'! I have sought legal advice and been told I have a good case while OE decide what they are going to do to help me.

I would not recommend this surgery to anyone, safer to stick with your glasses or contact lenses!
Last Edit:14 Jun 2014 15:56 by MRS x
  • Mr Starburst
  • Mr Starburst's Avatar Offline
  • Thank you received: 12

Replied by Mr Starburst on topic Thousands of patients suffer surgery failure.

Posted 07 Jun 2014 08:41 #140
The best (and only) way to guarantee no corneal haze or scarring is to have NO SURGERY AT ALL!
Last Edit:07 Jun 2014 10:05 by Mr Starburst
Moderators: admin

OERML & My Beautiful Eyes Foundation rely on your support to expose the horrors of this unregulated industry.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Amount