It seems I was too generous excusing Bobby Qureshi’s absence from the MPTS hearing on Wednesday (read previous post) 😎
I’d assumed that he was in Dubai - as I expect the tribunal members did too - so was shocked to hear that Dr Muhammad Qureshi had been spotted on Tuesday at The European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS) Congress in Paris, presumably peddling his wares!
Notified soon after 2pm on Tuesday, Bobby could very comfortably have made it to Manchester in time for the hearing on Wednesday, with plenty of fast planes and trains from Paris to Manchester and/or London!
This was a deliberate snub, as I’m sure Bobby Q was in little doubt about his fate, with no intention of thanking the tribunal for striking him off the General Medical Council (GMC) register or talking to journalists (though none attended, with one texting me for info).
I was personally disappointed because, during a conversation over the MPTS coffee machine last week, Bobby had promised me a photo and short interview, when he also asked if I was aware of the jealousy and back stabbing amongst ophthalmic surgeons that he claims to have been a victim of for many years.
Indeed, after more than eight years talking to countless surgeons I am aware, not forgetting that I listened to Niall Patton, the GMC medical expert instructed in this case, wallow in his lucratively paid opportunity to bitch about a competitor for hours at a time - whilst telling a few porkies himself!
Tribunal determination handed down a short while ago, erasure from the Medical Register (struck off)!
Because the MPTS gave short notice (yesterday afternoon) that the decision would be handed down this morning, Bobby was unable to get here (Manchester) in time, and Mr Davies conveyed his apologies to the Tribunal.
Yet again, other than the legal teams, I was the only person who attended the hearing this morning, with no journalists present.
Mr Christopher Rose (not Mr Simon Jackson as expected) made submissions for the General Medical Council (GMC) this morning.*
To maintain public confidence in the profession, and due to Dr Qureshi's 'lack of insight and persistent dishonesty', he said that the only sanction proportionate in this case is one of erasure from the GMC register.
Bobby Qureshi was present, and will be again on Monday morning when Mr Russell Davies makes his submissions to the tribunal. After which the MPTS tribunal members will go back in camera to decide on sanctions, which will be handed down by the end of the week.
*I will add Mr Rose's submissions here next week
Meanwhile, as I've posted before, I find it unfair that Dr Qureshi's colleagues, including Saj Khan and Scott Robbie, are not sharing the punishment as they did the profits from the operations they similarly performed at the London Eye Hospital!
Decision handed down early this afternoon before the tribunal retired for the day
‘The MPTS tribunal has decided that Dr Qureshi’s fitness to practise is impaired by reason of misconduct. It will now consider whether it is necessary to impose a sanction on his registration.’
And as I noted throughout the hearing, so many of the proven allegations reflect exactly what OE are doing!
Mr Russell Davies (BQ’s counsel) apologised on his client’s behalf for Dr Qureshi’s absence today, but assured the tribunal that he will attend tomorrow morning when submissions in response to the impairment decision will be made by Mr Simon Jackson, counsel for the GMC.
On Monday morning Mr Davies will make submissions on behalf of his client.
Following this, the tribunal will presumably go back in camera to discuss the sanctions stage, which could see Bobby Q struck off and unable to practise as a doctor in the UK.
Of course there’s a slim chance he could be suspended for a period of time - in the same way the General Optical Council suspended Optical Express optometrist John Margetts in 2017, after he was filmed lying by an undercover BBC TV journalist in 2015. (Search ‘OERML l Sasha Rodoy’ YouTube videos for BBC West broadcast.)
Legal representatives for the GMC and Dr Qureshi made submissions to the tribunal on Monday, after which the panel went back in camera to consider their decision on impairment.
Unexpectedly, very late this afternoon, the tribunal asked both parties to be available from noon tomorrow, indicating the likelihood of the impairment decision being handed down tomorrow afternoon. (I will be there!)
Meanwhile, Bobby Qureshi's comments in this article are amusing to read given where he’s ended up!
The MPTS facts decision for Dr Muhammad Ali Qureshi was handed down this afternoon - 226 pages
Bobby Qureshi did not attend the hearing, which is now adjourned until Monday 9 September, when the tribunal will consider whether the doctor’s fitness to practise is impaired based on the facts found proved.
'Dr Muhammad Qureshi (4155241)
DETERMINATION ON THE FACTS – 04/09/2019
1. Mr Qureshi obtained his BSc from the University of St Andrews, Scotland in 1992. He then went on to qualify as a doctor three years later having attended Guy’s and St Thomas’ Medical School and obtaining his MBBS from the University of London in 1995. Post qualification Mr Qureshi went on to specialise in ophthalmology obtaining Senior House Officer (‘SHO’) and Specialist Registrar (SpR) posts in hospitals both in the United Kingdom and abroad, including a year at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London. He achieved Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2000 by specialist examination in ophthalmology. Between 2001 and 2008 Mr Qureshi undertook a number of SpR and subsequently consultant posts at different hospitals. In 2008 Mr Qureshi obtained a post of consultant ophthalmologist at East Surrey Hospital and in 2011 left NHS practice to undertake, on a full time basis, private practice as an ophthalmologist.
2. Up until circa July 2017, Mr Qureshi practiced from his private eye hospital, London Eye Hospital Limited (‘LEH Limited’) trading as the London Eye Hospital Limited (‘LEH’) as a Consultant Ophthalmologist. During the period of the alleged incidents, he had, and has to date, a considerable interest in research, particularly in relation to intraocular lenses (‘IOLs’). Mr Qureshi now lives and works in Dubai and also conducts research in Spain.
3. During the period of the alleged incidents (2003-2017) Mr Qureshi was the ‘Medical Director’ of the LEH and sole director and shareholder of LEH Limited.
4. Mr Qureshi was also the sole director and shareholder of LEH Pharma Limited (formerly known as London Eye Hospital Pharma Limited) a company concerned in the development of IOL lenses. It is alleged that LEH Pharma Limited was the patent holder of the IOLAMD and the EyeMAX Mono lenses. Mr Qureshi had been intimately involved in the invention and development of these innovative IOL’s.
5. The allegations against Mr Qureshi relate to the treatment of 24 patients and him advising and/or performing specialist lens replacement surgery for the treatment of age-related macular degeneration (‘AMD’) and / or cataracts. The Allegations in general terms relate to:
• making false statements as to the improvement in vision that could be expected to be achieved from lens replacement surgery;
• failing to advise adequately, or at all, as to potential risks of the surgical procedures;
• failing to obtain informed consent from the patients;
• failing to communicate with other doctors/health professionals involved in his patients care;
• performing procedures on patients that were not clinically indicated and which would confer no benefit to the patient and would expose them to risk;
• allowing the use of pressure selling techniques to persuade patients to undergo IOL procedures;
• in relation to a number of the above matters, it is alleged that Mr Qureshi’s actions were dishonest and/or financially motivated.'
I will update when I've had time to read through...
'The facts decision will be handed down in public on Wednesday 4 September...'
I am of course attending, and will publish the tribunal's decision as soon as the hearing adjourns
I am also aware that I haven't yet published the MPTS list of the General Medical Council (GMC) allegations against Dr Muhammed Ali Qureshi - 26 pages! - but I will scan and post on this forum as soon as I have time to do so!