Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What Lifetime Guarantee?!

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 08 May 2017 14:20 #21

• Gareth
Yep, another one here who was lied to regarding aftercare service and I'm now in need of remedial work on my right as I it's so bad I fear I'm losing my sight in that eye.

Sun columnist Mel Hunter 15 Apr 2017 17:16 #22

• admin
  • Thank you received: 152
On 4 March 2017, Craig Aynsley contacted me via OERML website...

'I have read a few articles via Twitter and your website and was wondering if you could assist or advise me in anyway? Basically I am in the same boat as most. I originally had my surgery carried out in July 2009 and had LASEK surgery on both eyes carried out. All was good and aftercare was good and had regular eye tests carried out free of charge as I had the FREE LIFETIME AFTERCARE PROMISE. (Which I have a copy of)

In 2013 my eyes started to deteriorate and was informed that I needed re- treatment. In November 2013 my surgeon recommended that I just get one eye re treated as I was under 40 and did not need glasses for reading, and if I got both eyes re treated then I may bring on early the need to wear reading glasses.(Treatment was for distance). I was informed that I could get the other eye treated later in life. So I went and got treatment carried out on just the one eye.

Throughout all of my aftercare 2009-2015 I never paid for anything, but in 2015/2016 I was told I would now have to pay for any future eye tests and any treatment.

I originally paid for my treatment via Hitachi finance and have enquired with them if I can receive a refund due to the breach of contract with the free lifetime aftercare. If you can help in anyway then please could you contact me.
'

Before I spoke with Craig he also contacted Mel Hunter at The Sun newspaper. Mel phoned OE, and as a result they reinstated Craig's free lifetime aftercare.

I spoke to Mel last month and she told me that, although she's busy with many other consumer issues, she will consider publishing other complaints in the future about Optical Express.

And don't forget, journalists talk to other journalists, so it's worth emailing details of your complaint to Mel whether it concerns lack of aftercare, deposit refund refusal, or the fact that you've been left with damaged eyesight. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I also recommend that you send your complaints to the many other newspaper consumer complaint columns. Not forgetting websites such as Money Saving Expert, Resolver, and many more.

If anyone has time to do some research and send me a list of links I will publish :kiss:

Keep in mind that bad reviews on the internet will eventually come up in searches when people are considering surgery with Optical Express!
Attachments:

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 29 Mar 2017 10:52 #23

• MikeC
I've just forwarded some correspondence to Sasha on the back of my particular circumstances. I'm unable to find a similar case among the posts on here so here is a summary as best I can recall:

Dec '09: Consultation at OE York clinic. On the back of having only a slight prescription it was suggested that this could be rectified with anyone of a number of the laser procedures so opted for LASIK.

Jan '10: Surgery carried out at OE Leeds clinic - unsure of surgeon. Went straight home to bed, woke up the next day and all was well - despite my slight prescription the procedure had worked and I could see clearly without my glasses / contact lenses. The usual follow up appointments came and passed without issue.

10/12/14: Called into OE York purely in passing as i'd been struggling with general viewing through my left eye since early 2014. I was referred immediately to a laser clinic so opted for Nottingham as it was closer to my place of work at the time.

11/12/14: Optom at OE Nottingham unable to diagnose my problem. They struggled to get a reading for my left eye via their Petocam. Optom commented that it was the first time in 7 years of working there that she had encountered this issue. I was referred to a surgeon which was scheduled for 16/12/14:

16/12/14: Further attempts by the Optom to obtain a reading from my left eye with no joy. Surgeon did not see me as he had passed on a message to the Optom that early indications from my appointment on 11/12/14 was that I had something called Corneal Ectasia and I was to be scheduled for a Collagen Cross Linking Procedure (C3R) and had an appointment made by clinical services at OE Manchester Deansgate clinic for 13/02/15. I didn't even know what C3R was so had to google it!

06/02/15: Letter received from OE confirming appointment but that the clinic location had changed from OE Manchester Deansgate to the OE Trafford Centre.

13/02/15: Met surgeon (Dr. Antonio Uceda-Montanes) for first time and he advised that the best outcome I could hope for due to the deterioration was that i'd be able to wear a hard contact lens / glasses in future to aid my vision. I signed consent forms and it begun. C3R procedure carried out on the left eye. Told to expect pain once the anesthetic runs out. Once it did they were not wrong and the pain was excruciating but only lasted for a few days. Various follow up appointments made to monitor the progress and have a temporary lens removed - always at a laser clinic so not my local one in York.

04/03/15: Courtesy call from OE Clinical Services asking how the followup treatment was going. Advised that further FOC corrective procedures would be reviewed on a case by case basis. Temporary glasses / contact lenses would be FOC but any long term solutions would need paying for.

Following numerous back / forth appointments at Manchester / Nottingham my new surgeon (Dr. Mohammed Kazmi) was pleased with the progress of my left eye which was showing signs of stabilization (so not worsening). The right eye was also always checked at every appointment.

06/01/16: Further review of how the left eye was progressing at OE Manchester Deansgate and advised that INTACS, contact lenses, glasses and even further surgery were promising options. The surgeon spoke about the need to perform the C3R procedure to the right eye as it had started to worsen.

29/02/16: Contact from Clinical Services who confirmed that I had an appointment at OE Manchester Deansgate clinic to have the C3R procedure carried out to my right eye.

09/03/16: Attended clinic and the surgeon (Dr. Mohammed Kazmi) thought my appointment was just a routine check up and consultation about having INTACS! He agreed that the C3R procedure could go ahead so I signed the consent form and he carried out the C3R to the right eye as i'd expected.

Same process of early pain / follow up appointments continued throughout 2016. I ended up with a new surgeon (Dr. Jonathan Carr) who I met with in October '16. He said all was looking good and that i'd see him in March '17 where we would talk further about INTACS / further laser corrective treatment.

I phoned clinical services in February '17 to be advised that any further appointments would be £50 to see an Optom or £150 to see Dr. Carr. I wrote a letter of complaint to Clinical Services to which i got a reply by the director on 25/03/17 saying that my treatment terms had expired and that they were closing my complaint.

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 28 Mar 2017 10:12 #24

• Abi
I had Laser eye surgery Feb 2015, really happy with consultation appointments up until the day I went to Bluewater optical express to get the treatment. A guy in his 40s was with his wife shouting that since having his surgery he was suffering with haze and has since had to wear glasses again which wasn't the most re assuring whilst waiting.

Since having the surgery I had to go back for follow up appointments for almost a month every 1-2 days. The reason for this was because my right eye had too many white blood cells which were close to my cornea and the optician was worried it could cause more long term issues/haze. This already caused a big inconvenience as I had to go to Bluewater some days, others to Ipswich, some to Colchester and one day I had to go up to Harley street to see my surgeon. All of this was of course included in the "after care" but I was the one out of pocket having to drive back and fourth for weeks.

Since then I haven't had to go back but I am left with the most frustrating issue that my eyes are really dry. My eyes are also very light sensitive and most importantly I just want a check up appointment to make sure that my eyes are OK.

I have been out of the country for over a year only to come home and arrange a well overdue eye check up only to be told that I have to pay £50 as the after care period is now up. I am really disgusted how they think that they are able to get away with this and would appreciate hearing from other people. I cannot find my terms and conditions, does anyone have one from around 2014/15 period?

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 18 Mar 2017 14:51 #25

• Tam
OE said people only need aftercare for 12 months after surgery so that's why they took it away. Doesn't make sense because if he "vast majority" dont need it what is the problem in leaving it there for the people who do need it???

www.aspokesmansaid.com/healthcare/storie...care-for-life-claims
Attachments:

Aftercare stopped! 16 Mar 2017 15:29 #26

• Shorty
  • Thank you received: 0
Check the latest reply from Tweedledumb..(aka Stephen Hannan) regarding my "after care" that has suddenly stopped after TEN YEARS even though my eyes are no better and I am now having treatment at Moorfields NHS! And check the next to last paragraph on page 3!!
Omg the cheek of him!!! :evil:

Attachments:

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 13 Mar 2017 19:31 #27

• Kev
Hi guys,
I'm another sucker conned by optical express, I paid £3390 to optical express at York for lasik eye surgery in 2012, just been in for an eye check up as I have been having headaches and was informed AFTER the check up that the cost for the check up was £30, when I told them that I shouldn't be charged because I had eye care for life as part of my eye surgery they told me that the eye care for life had been stopped because "it had been over used by people" and that I had to read the small print on my contract as I was only entitled to 12 months, this is contrary to what I was told on at least 3 occasions when they were trying to get me to sign up for the procedure and on the advertising that they produced, I had been back for check ups regularly since 2012 with no mention of having to pay until now,
They obviously see this as an easy way to generate more income in an at best underhand and sneaky manner and at worse dishonest,
I think the only thing that a greedy company like this will react to is by feeling a reduction in income so maybe we need to start warning prospective customers about who they are dealing with, anybody fancy a collective day of action at as many optical express shops as the ever growing hoard of deceived victims can cover on the same busy day ???

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 06 Mar 2017 19:58 #28

• Lauren
I had ilasik with Dr Waseem Aziz at Optical Express in Albion Street, Leeds on 13/6/15.

On my 3rd after care appointment after my surgery I told the optician that my eyes felt blurry like I needed glasses. I was told my eyes would get better and they just needed to heal.
Since then, at every appointment I told them my eyes were blurry and I'd started to get headaches. I was told it was because, I need more eye drops, I need less eye drops, my brain isn't used to not needing glasses, waking up to an alarm rather than naturally... and a lot of other random excuses for my eyes being blurry!

I was never helped at any point despite constantly telling them at every appointment my eyes weren't right. I complained via their online chat... that was ignored twice! So I emailed them directly.

When they eventually replied, they told me that as it has been over a year since my surgery that there's nothing they can do. And they refuse to acknowledge that I've been telling them since the beginning that my eyes were blurry. They issued me with a standard complaint response that detailed my day of surgery - 4 pages of it! But I never at any point mentioned my day of surgery in my complaint - it is the aftercare and the fact they have point blank ignored me!

I have since been to Boots opticians who confirmed I need glasses and have told me that I must have needed a prescription for some time as my eyes wouldn't have gotten to this stage again over night, it will have taken months and months... and there's no way Optical Express could have missed that. I again contacted OE with this and sent a copy of my prescription, but yet again I have been ignored. £3k down the drain

May 2014 OE Brochure 09 Feb 2017 09:22 #29

• GB
Can I have a copy of the 16 page document please?

What are the chances of getting this honoured in branch?* My surgery was in 2007, and I was promised free aftercare, only to be denied last year with the old £50 fee malarkey.

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 08 Feb 2017 13:40 #30

• Geeta Varsani
I had my eyes lasered at the Optical Express centre in Cardiff in Sept 2014 and suffered from dry eyes. I was given drops to alleviate the symptoms. I subsequently became pregnant at the end of 2015 and had my one year test which said everything was fine but to continue with the drops. I had no problems with my eyes during the pregnancy and so did not need to attend for any checkups. I gave birth to my baby in July 2016 and thought I'd wait a few months until my hormones had settled before I booked another eye test, plus with the sleepless nights and recovery from a difficult labour I was in no position to get my eyes tested.

Last week I decided to make an appointment as my dry eyes symptoms have returned and I was horrified to hear that I had to pay £50 for the test when in my hand I had a brochure advertising free comprehensive aftercare and free eye tests for life. Apparently I had signed a form an hour before surgery saying that I was only eligible for 2 years aftercare. This was not pointed out to me at the time and when I asked for a copy of these terms and conditions I was told I needed to pay a fee. I don't see why I should have to pay for terms and conditions which form part of my contract with them, and I argued this with no luck.

I do not want my clinical records I just want a copy of the terms that I signed up for. Please can anyone advise as to what I can do next.

I was told that as I was pregnant during the second year of my aftercare I could be granted a ‘goodwill’ extension but this was not guaranteed and I would need to put it in writing.

Also my husband had his eyes lasered in April 2013 and has had three free eye tests, the last one in 2016, but they have not honoured the same for me. Very disappointed and shocked that they can do this and totally helpless as this company is not regulated.

I am contacting my MP as this is wrong, and will also go back to Optical Express in the hope that they will reconsider this.