Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What Lifetime Guarantee?!

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 10 Apr 2016 11:19 #81

• PP
Hello all,

Quick summary of my story: I had Lasik in 2009 and whilst being thrilled with the initial results, my vision started regressing a couple years later. After going for post-op check-ups I was told my vision hadn't stabilised enough for a re-enhancement surgery. Finally, after a couple of years (!) I was told my vision was stable and that I could have the re-enhancement. This optician told me it would be free of charge, which I expected as regression was my main concern when I had the initial surgery - it was an expensive procedure and I was worried that it wouldn't last (to which I was told about lifetime guarantee and permanent nature of laser). In any case, I cam back for the pre-op checks only to be told this time by another optician that it was not free of charge and I would have to pay. And that the cost would be almost the same as what I paid the first time (despite my power being a lot less this time round and only being eligible for lasek, not the more expensive lasik this time). I was told to take it up with head office and after a couple of frustrating letters from Stephen Hannan, I'm at a loss now. Is there no regulatory body covering Optical Express - it is the world of medicine so I would have thought there should be strict rules around misrepresentation and misleading statements to encourage people into an expensive surgery? I'll investigate and revert with any findings.

Also, was someone able to post a copy of the lifetime promise they received? Thanks!

URGENT 09 Apr 2016 18:48 #82

• David Cantello
I had replacement lens surgery Dec 2013. I have had misty vision ln one of the lenses. I have been told I have to pay a £50 fee and pay for aftercare treatment. I cannot find the terms and conditions . My wife keeps everything so I am thinking that I may not have been given the information.

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 07 Apr 2016 21:55 #83

• Ginger
I have had the same trouble had surgery in March 2013 and was told it was lifetime cover and am now being told to I have pay I feel like I have been ripped off would never of had it done if I had been told it was only cover for a year

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 06 Apr 2016 12:05 #84

• Mr Grumpy
Further to my post a couple of weeks ago and in similar vein to Ian's post below. I attended a appointment with the Oxford clinic that I had arranged as am having issues again.

On arrival, I queried why I hadn't been called back in for a post-op check up, being that it was nearly a year since I last visited and quoting the "lifetime aftercare promise" and was informed that it was my responsibility to ask for them and they didn't call up patients automatically. I was shocked at this although didn't make an issue at the time as was fearful of it impacting the consultation at the time. However, it sounds very much a case of "if they don't moan then leave them alone" mentality. My belief is that they carried out major surgery on my eyes and therefore have an ongoing duty of care to support. They even promised that but of course don't outline exactly what that lifetime aftercare consists of!

The other main high street stores send me constant reminders about getting my eyes checked and that's just for a pair of specs! Mind you, from a commercial perspective, I can see that they have the chance of revenue from this contact whereas with OE, they don't (currently) get any additional revenue and every consultation is so additional cost to them. However, my full and total understanding when I signed up to OE in the first place is that I would get full support post-op, not discharging responsibility at the earliest opportunity!

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 01 Apr 2016 12:01 #85

• Ian
Hi,
I had laser eye surgery in 2011, I recently tried to book a routine check up as my eyes felt a bit dry only to be told I now have to pay £50, which I was concerned about as they offered life time aftercare. So I asked why am I paying, to be told that my T&Cs state it was only covered for 5years. That's good because I had my surgery done in September 2011 which means I'm still covered.
This was met with a wall of silence and not much more. I then rang my local Optical Express to book an appointment believing I was still under the lifetime aftercare seeing as I’m still living only to be told that I forfeited my life time after-care due to not having regular checkups so they have discharged me.
I asked why didn't they send me reminders about my regular checks that I needed. She said not for us to do you it down to me, so I said it sounds like you just wanted me to forget to get out of the aftercare. She replied with I have to take it up with customer services which I did. I'm now talking to someone that has been trained to deal specifically for this situation as she was very stern in me checking my t&c's. She very quickly explained that I was only entitled to 1 years aftercare as per my T&Cs.
I do not have my T&Cs as we have move house recently and I can't find them but being almost 5 years ago I’m not sure I would have kept it.
I'm know they told me it was lifetime aftercare because it was the reason I went with them for surgery. Any help or advise with this would be great.

Ian

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 01 Apr 2016 08:27 #86

• Maria
Just had my call back and paid my £10.
And this is the explanation which I requested by email :sick:

Attachments:

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 01 Apr 2016 08:13 #87

• Maria
Another update to the T&C saga. My signed authorization form was submitted 2 days ago and I was promised a call back to collect £10 payment as soon as that happened. Waited by the phone for 2 days, OE chat online promised a call yesterday before 3pm. Nothing. There doesn't seem to be an alternative payment method. And the 21 day waiting period doesn't start until the payment goes through. Could it be deliberate? Some may get fed up and give up - not me. I'm all fired up!!!
And Maureen - I remember being given the Lifetime Promise like yours - that was what really sealed the deal for me. Sadly a copy was not given to me and I, too, was not given a copy of T&C to take home - and at the time I felt so overwhelmed with information and excited by the prospect of my new life without glasses, it didn't cross my mind to check the folder ( which they said included all I needed to know) as I trusted the team in the store.
Watch this space :angry:

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 01 Apr 2016 00:41 #88

• frank

Confuddled wrote: I had LASIK in 2007 at OE. I was rarely, if ever, contacted to come in for a check-up, and it was always off my back to do so. I have just recently tried to get a check-up (again without any contact from OE to book one) as my vision is worse, and I am getting regular headaches. However they have told me that I will need to pay £50 for a test!

I asked them about the "Lifetime Guarantee" that i was promised, and they mentioned that it was all in the T&Cs that it was only valid for a few years, and only for certain tests?!

I'm a carbon copy to your story. Had my surgery 6 years ago.

My visions has been getting progressively worse now for over 1 year. I'm struggling to read football scores on a television 2 metres away and I also now suffer from very bad eye floaters (like black threads or circles) when looking at white or bright things.

I'm booked in for a checkup this Sunday and have been told it's £50. The girl said it was in my terms and conditions that it was free aftercare for 3 years. This is bullsh*t as I had free checkups done after the 3 years! I am 110% sure I had it for life because it was the reason I went with them.

I don't want to pay it but I need an answer fairly soon as it's got to the stage where I think I need glasses again.

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 31 Mar 2016 17:14 #89

• Marco
Hi All,

I am having similar problems with Optical Express, who are now refusing to pay for any post care treatment, even though they have done so for the past 5 years.

I have recently received what can only be some kind of "gagging order" offer letter from Stephen Hannan which I definitely will not be signing!

I have tried desperately to find a copy of my original contract but it appears it was never given to me. Do any of you know how I can get hold of a copy or do any of you have a copy that you don't mind sharing?

Thanks all
Marco

FAO Maureen - urgent! 31 Mar 2016 15:37 #90

• admin
  • Thank you received: 152

MAUREEN wrote: I have found my original paperwork and within it is a whole page devoted to 'The Optical Express Lifetime Promise'.
At Optical Express we stand behind our laser vision correction procedures and aftercare with our free Lifetime Promise.
Our Optical Express Laser Vision Lifetime Promise to you:
All necessary care and treatment following your laser vision correction procedure at Optical Express is provided free of charge and for life, subject to our Promise Terms."

Hi Mauren - and anyone else who has a copy of this - please send email with your phone number asap!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. :kiss: