Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
www.opticalexpressruinedmylife.co.uk/index.php/donate.html

In January 2012 I launched My Beautiful Eyes Campaign, calling for the UK government to regulate the refractive eye surgery industry.

This resulted in a surprisingly high number of people asking for my advice, and so I set up MBE patient advocacy service...
Read More...
Optical Express Ruined My Life - Discuss...

TOPIC: What Lifetime Guarantee?!

OE are a joke 08 Apr 2014 18:46 #111

• Deedee
In 2009, after falling for high pressure sales, discount if you sign now, blah blah... I had LASIK surgery at Gateshead.

I was promised this was a once in a lifetime treatment with 20/20 vision or better and assured that the it was totally safe.

Since having the procedure I have suffered with dry eye, night time prisms, tingling and stinging sensations, pain in my eyes.

In 2011 I reported loss of vision in my right eye, but I was fobbed off and sent away with drops. At no point did Optical Express send any reminders for an eye examination which as per their own terms and conditions must be carried out every two years for the lifetime care. I did ask them earlier in 2013 why I had not received any reminders and was told I'd been "missed off"

The store I'd been to had closed down with the nearest too far for me to travel to. Then another opened closer so I went and told them my story and they said would have to call head office and get back to me. Did call back and said that store would help me. Store appointment again for another eye test as they wanted to see if my sight had stabilised, not much help, fobbed off again, said they would contact me.

Waited and waited... nothing, so I went in the store again... was assured they would get the manager to call me. He didn't!

At this point I was livid. I telephoned the store and spoke to the assistant manager, she was helpful and apologetic but I explained that didn't fix my eyes!

Next appointment I saw the manager who said he would personally take responsibility for this and get me an answer regarding an enhancement... this didn't happen, I was passed to someone from head office on the phone who told me I would have to pay for re-treatment.

I then posted on OE's Facebook, but of course they didn't approve the post as only positive comments are allowed.

I sent them a PM and today I received a phone call, offering a free of charge 'enhancement' if I sign a gagging order! Not a chance, I have decided I could never let them near my eyes again.

I want all my money back or I shall share my story of my experience at Optical Express on every social media site, and to anyone will listen for the rest of my life.

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 03 Apr 2014 15:37 #112

• Philip Fowler
Well what can I say, I had an appointment at OE in Leeds today, got there, the store had closed down!

I went into the shop next door and the owner told me lots of people had been asking if she knew where they've moved to.

There was no notice on the door so I ended up ringing them. I still couldn't find where they were, so I rang them again and told them I had given up and was going home.

I had no letter or directions, just a phone call from their office and the person said he would call me back at 4 o'clock but I have not heard a thing. :angry:

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 31 Mar 2014 16:08 #113

• Philip Fowler
AS POPPY SAID PLEASE DO NOT RISK FURTHER SURGERY WITH THIS COMPANY OPTICAL EXPRESS

Do your research, more surgery could mean more risks, don't do it, don't fall for their insincere "we will look after you cr*p", they just want your money.
1 look at all the staff who work there who wear glasses even the surgeons too
2 If it is that good why have they not had it done plus a lot cheaper for them
3 Don't listen and look at the box full of reject glasses, who would wear those

I am fed up of travelling all over the country to see their so called experts and getting the same old creams and wipes and tablets which do nothing.-

Optical Express refuse to pay my expensies 28 Mar 2014 13:25 #114

• Philip Fowler
I had eye surgery done in Leeds in 2009, before I was happy chap with a brill sense of humour, but after surgery I started to suffer with severe dry eyes.

This has ruined my life, I have quit my job of 15 years and still my eyes are bad, I can only watch television for an hour before my vision becomes blurry and I suffer with grittiness and burning in my eyes.

Optical Express have sent me all over the country, even London, to have lipiflow.

Now they are refusing to pay my fuel expenses as I have to get someone to drive me, even though the last time I spoke with Stephen Hannan he told me they'd pay per mile, but now say they're not paying.

This disgusts me, as "A lifetime guarantee" promise was a condition of my signing on the dotted line and them taking my money.

But it seems like they have written me off!

I am now looking into legal action against OE so will keep you all updated

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 25 Mar 2014 19:40 #115

• Ktj1991
I had short sighted vision since I was 14 and when I turned 20 decided to go for laser eye surgery. My prescription at the time I believe was -2.00 and -2.25.

I was told I was the ideal candidate for wavefront LASIK surgery and that I would have 20/20 vision and not need glasses until I was older and required reading glasses. I was also told less than 1% of people had to go back for secondary treatment, but it was people with really bad vision, so I went ahead and booked.

I went through the procedure fine and my eyes have been okay - besides night glare whilst driving, until the start of 2014 when I noticed my vision was regressing. I booked an appointment with Optical Express, which I had today where I have been advised that my short sight had returned in both my eyes and my only options were to either have secondary treatment, free depending on my contract, or just to wear glasses/ contacts. The optom also stated he wanted to see me again in 3 months to see if my eyes had changed anymore. Knowing that I was short sighted I was not offered any glasses or contacts leaving the clinic!

I asked why this had happened and he told me it's like growing taller or feet sizes changing and that my eyes have just changed again - possibly gotten bigger. This has left my wondering what I actually spent my £2000 + on if it wasn't to have guaranteed 20/20 vision.

The optom told me there was nothing he could do and that I would have to ring Optical Express HQ to see if I was entitled to free secondary enhancement. I spoke to the customers team who confirmed I had 4 years upon having surgery to have corrective surgery. I then asked her what other alternatives would they offer me if I didn't want to go ahead with more surgery and her answer was quite bluntly put - nothing! She said that was no guarantee that I would have perfect lifetime vision even though Optical Express' marketing suggests otherwise!

I am now at a loss as to what to do, feeling quite confused and depressed that I have just wasted £2000 for less that 2 years 20/20 vision.

Confused 11 Mar 2014 20:24 #116

• Springy eyes
Hi I'm just after some advice.

Just over 3 years ago I had the top wavefront treatment at a cost of £3500. I had about 5 aftercare appointments, but that was it, no yearly reminder for a check up, nothing.

About 6 months ago I noticed a decline in my vision, so I thought I would get in touch and ask them check my eyes. After numerous attempts to get an appointment, turning up and having to wait hours as the optician had not arrived, I was seen about a month ago.

I was told I need an enhancement and I would have to pay for it! I was told to make an appointment, by phone for a checkup in 3 weeks. After being messed about with an appointment I finally got seen 8/3/14 by a different optician.

Sitting in the chair I noticed from the off the optician was uncomfortable. Checeing my eyes she was answering the questions for me before I could speak and saying that I would have to pay.

While I was reminding her about the poor service I've had and don't see why i should have to pay, she then stated that I would not be able to have the wavefront again because the flap had been in place for 3 years. The treatment I would have is a lens put in for 4 days and it will take about a week to heal. Tbh I really don't know what's correct or not.

Can anyone advise?

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 01 Feb 2014 18:21 #117

• Dee dee
I've just been for another sight test, as after 3 1/2 years vision has deteriorated , said I would need to phone HO as think I have a 4 year guarantee, as they only changed it to 3 in 2012! WTF
Think I will insist on glasses not more surgery ..... They sold me the life time thing too.

One more thing I've picked upon today in there terms & conditions you must have a sight test with optical express every two years, now myself and one other person, has never had a reminder to go get checked other than going after having vision trouble. Hmmm, maybe they don't want you to have the check up Incase has to give you a free enhancement ?

What Lifetime Guarantee?! 09 Jan 2014 18:04 #118

• Mic
Don't risk laser again. Just wear glasses it's much better than surgery!

FAO Nina 09 Jan 2014 16:14 #119

Pls send email to:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
:kiss:

Regression... where do I stand? 09 Jan 2014 15:05 #120

• Nina
I had laser eye surgery almost 4 years ago now. When I had it done, they rushed everything through, and I had an awful experience, ended up at my local A&E in absolute agony having panic attacks (which I had never suffered from before). My vision has become far far worse since the surgery and I also suffer from halos and starbursts at night.

Yesterday I had a consultation when they confirmed that my eyesight has severely regressed and I was told that my only option is to have the surgery again. I am absolutely terrified of the very thought of this and really don't know what to do.

But if I don't have the surgery again, I'm actually in a worse position with my vision than before surgery.

I am absolutely terrified and don't want to go through surgery again, but at the same time wonder if it would be stupid just to cut my losses.

Does anyone know where I stand with this? The best solution for me would be to have a reasonable proportion of my money back, cost almost £2600, and just go and buy some glasses (I am really that scared of having the procedure done again), but they told me over the phone that it's not possible.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.